Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 97 & 98: Trail Angels: Super-Ultra-Deluxe Edition


(Mile 1482 to 1506.5, Castle Crags = 24.5 miles; 1506.5 to 1512, Sulphur Creek = 5.5 miles)

Shasta keeps getting bigger!

We made 24.5 miles by 5:45 PM yesterday.  Despite the heat (nearly 100!) and the sore feet.  What was the hurry?  Town, of course.  And trail magic from the super-ultra-deluxe trail angels, Mike and Jackie Niemeyer.

1500 miles. Heck, yeah!
Mike and Jackie are friends of mine from Oregon.  A mix of friends, mentors, and your really cool aunt and uncle.  They were in Tahoe for a family trip and took a few extra days to trail angel us. 

We have our own support team!
The magic began before we even saw them.  A pink flamingo sign stood in the trail at Castle Crags.  A birthday party or the Niemeyers, I thought.  "Gumby and Bacon Bit Support Team," it announced.  Of course!  But!  When we got to I5 there was no sign of anyone.  We were early.  But the Niemeyers are early people.  I called Mike.  "I am in the ER.  With a Wilderness EMT." I asked if he was lying.  My W-EMT friend in the ER with a W-EMT?  I didn't buy it for a second.  But, it was true.  Mike had run his keys through his hand carrying our stuff to the hotel room!  Jackie picked us up, and we fetched Mike from the hospital.

The spread at the hotel.
After that, I think things went a little more as planned.  We had showers, went to dinner, and explored our resupply packages.  In addition to the usual, I had new inserts, a new Z-Lite, a chip with books for my mp3 player, a new sleeping mat -- signed and decorated by friends!, chips galore, and a bone.  Yes, the Niemeyers brought me a bone.  Not flowers.  :)

Our resupply goods.

They got us breakfast in the morning, and then we were off!  To the resort for massages!  While Jackie took care of our laundry!  I have never been so spoiled.  It was ridiculous and wonderful.  Pack up, new water bottles, a picnic lunch, and we were back at the trailhead fully loaded.  Did I mention that Mike dug my nose ring out of the hotel sink after a devastating loss?  Can you imagine?!  What a man.  Those two were unbelievable.  We are the most spoiled hikers on the PCT today.  We are glowing.  Thank you, Niemeyers!

A bone, courtesy of the Niemeyers. Perfect.
We did not hike far, but we did make it out of town.  Tomorrow, things return to normal.  Mostly.  Plus a flamingo on my pack, courtesy of the super-ultra-deluxe trail angels, Mike and Jackie Niemeyer.  Thanks for everything, you two.

Our support team!

He really was injured, after all.

Handstands for 1500+ and our A-1 trail angels!

My new sleeping mat. Filled with  quotes and notes from friends.  That's Bacon Bit lounging in the center. I LOVE IT!

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo of MT. Shasta and you guys with Mike and Jackie. They are lovely people and good friends to you and Gumby. But a bone instead of flowers! I am going to have to do some re-educating when you get back! :-) Lou

    ReplyDelete