Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 118 & 119: The Friends of Bacon Bit


(Mile 1978.5 to 2001.5, Big Lake Youth Camp = 23 miles; 2001.5 to 2012, Three Fingered Jack = 11.5 miles)

North Sister. On my list!
At Silver Falls, we have a fantastic volunteer Friends group that supports the park in general and the interpretive program (that's me!)specifically.  Yesterday and today, I decided that I pretty much have my own fantastic volunteer Friends support group.  And they turned out in full force this weekend.

To find the ranger, you must first solve the riddle...
Yesterday, it was my mate who turned up just before McKenzie Pass -- hidden on trail, he perplexed us with a mystery sign.  And then fed us Thai food!  No kidding.  He packed in four tubs of Thai to-go.  I love Thai.  My belly may have been too full for the afternoon's hike, but it was delicious.  So good that it was this morning's breakfast, too.  Now, he is hiking a few days with us, carrying our extra random gear, and playing photographer.  And launderer.  And treat supplier.  Among other things.

Who knew you could have Thai food delivered on trail?!
After eleven miles yesterday, we arrived at 2000 miles.  A mile and a half more, and we were at Big Lake Youth Camp.  I have to say a word about that place.  First, it is the nicest camp I have ever seen.  Second, it was remarkable how kindly and causally they threw their doors open to us!  We could get our own boxes, laundry was easily accessible, and showers came with a towel and soap.  The staff seemed completely at ease with hikers, and the place was scrubby clean.  One of the most simply pleasant resupplies on trail.

2000 miles!
After a slow morning, we hit Santiam Pass at about 1:30 PM.  My friend (and a Friend of Silver Falls), Earl arrived right about 2 PM.  With him were two more friends/Friends and his wife!  (Jim and Janet Thomas and Betty.)  An entire car of visitors!  (Thanks for the chocolate and the bacon article!) Following shortly after was Ranger Jennifer, swinging through on a specially arranged lunch break -- freshly caught smoked salmon and local berry cobbler (delicious!) in tow.  And then my best Oregon girlfriend, Lori, and her mate, Manny arrived -- pops, treats, a new watch (yay!), and birthday present in tow.  And then Carol (from the other day) arrived with her husband, Greg -- the two actually came out and camped at Big Lake for the night!  (And brought more treats!) 

Thank you, Pam Reid and John Thomas!
It was all pretty unbelievable.  Ten of my favorite people all gathered at a trailhead in the middle of nowhere to say hello and cheer us on.  I cannot even begin to express how much it means to me.  I tear up just thinking about it.  I am so happy and so humbled.  I know the PCT is a big deal in some ways.  But I honestly just feel like I am walking.  To make the couple of hour trip out here to sit at a trailhead and chat for an hour or two, well, THAT'S a big deal!

Thank you, Friends of Bacon Bit and Gumby!
Thanks for all of your support everyone -- ongoing and today.  Days like this are what are going to get me through the remainder of the trip.   I could never do it alone.  And thanks to the Friends of Bacon Bit, I don't have to!  Big bear hugs to you all. 

BB

Thanks for the cows, Aunt Nikki!

And thanks for the watch, Lori! I am lost without one. :)


5 comments:

  1. Not only do you have this special group, you have Friends that are wishing you well along the way that could not make it to the trail. The best to the Iron Woman of Silver Falls State Park and her fellow hiker, another Iron Women! Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I cannot wait to make my way back to Oregon to see these Friends! I miss you guys. Catching folks at the pass was only a reminder of how much. One more month!

      Delete
  2. Big HUGS! Great BIG Hugs! ~ So good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so enjoying your blogging Bacon Bit! Thanks for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly because that's just the way it is. Thankfully, it seems overwhelmingly good! I would love to do this journey as well and you are certainly fueling the flames of inspiration.
    Take care you guys!
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete