Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 113: The Trail Already Traveled


(Mile 1835 to 1861.5, Thielsen Creek = 26.5 miles)

Not much to report on the day.  It was a fairly peaceful one and went by relatively quickly.  We are above a creek below Mt. Thielsen tonight.  Rocks are giving way and tumbling as I write.  Even the mountains change.

Sunrise over Crater Lake.
I guess what was different about today for me was that I am seeing places that I have seen before and traveling on trail that I have traveled before.  I felt at home on our first full day in Oregon, but I really feel at home now.  I have been to Crater Lake a couple of times, and I have climbed Mt. Thielsen and swam in Diamond Lake.  I have always said that one of the things I was looking forward to most on this trip was stringing together all of my previous Oregon hikes.  Standing on the rim of Crater Lake looking north towards Thielsen and the Three Sisters, I felt a joyful contentment ... lined with a bit of kid-at-Christmas excitement.  I am HOME.  And I cannot wait to see all of the familiar places.

Found it! Thanks for the water, Wired!
It's funny.  Oregon does feel like home to me.  I know it better than Iowa or Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota.  I think this happens to many of us who move as adults.  We find ourselves learning more about our new areas than those where we spent 3/4 of our lives.  It makes me wonder about everything I missed in the places where I grew up.  Maybe our worlds are just too small when we are young.

Mt. Thielsen... I climbed this a couple years ago...
Which reminds me.  I was talking to Virgo the other night, and he said something about how the Trail is all about the people.  The people we meet, cross paths with, spend time with.  The people.  I thought about this for a moment.  The people.  ?  I was a little surprised, although I probably should not have been.  I am sure it is about the people for many hikers.  For me, it is the places.  The people are important, sure, but secondary to the places.  It's the Kings Canyons, the Muir Passes, the Crater Lakes, the windy ridges, the sunsets, stars, and sunrises, the special creeks, rocks, and trees.  These are what I will carry around with me.  The people?  A few.  But I am slow to make friends.  With people at least.

:)

Night.

2 comments:

  1. You have plenty of company in the category of people not really knowing their home turf. I can not count the visitors to the park I have met who have lived in Oregon all their lives, or almost all,traveled to Europe, Africa and other places, but just now discovered Silver Falls! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You guys got the water. Only wish I could have delivered it in person. I just returned from a great trip on the JMT and am back to subbing...in Woodburn today! So even if I don't catch you on trail, hopefully one day after work, sheesh! Glad yiu have so many people supporting you through OR. It was definitely what got me through WA. You two are cruising and I hope the weather stays dry for ya. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete