Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 109: Farewell, My Friend!


(Mile 1750 to 1775 = 25 miles)

I just received news this morning that Kindergarten Cop is leaving the Trail.  His mother passed, and he needs to be home with his family.  It is one of the great fears of a thru-hiker, that something will happen to a loved one back home while s/he is out on the Trail.  It can be days later that we hear news and with every day comes guilt and pain that we were out here while loved ones were in need.

Kindergarten Cop always took photos of flowers for his wife. Bouquets, he called them. These Bleeding Hearts are the first I've seen on the trail. For you and your family, KC!
I will miss Kindergarten Cop immensely.  Although we have not been traveling together lately, we keep tabs on each other and are thrilled when our paths cross.  I actually feel a sense of loss realizing that the last time I saw him will be the last time I see him for awhile.  Not forever, though!  I am sure to head out to the Blue Ridge Parkway to pay him a visit in the not too distant future.

KC is one of the few close friends I've made out here.  We clicked almost instantly.  We are, in many ways, much the same.  He is a big bull, and I am a little one.  He is a big alpha male, and I am a little alpha female.  We both love life, laughter, people, and experiences.  We were two peas in a pod.  And he could read me like a book.  A friend, mentor, kindred spirit, and guard dog. 

What man! There is little Kindergarten Cop cannot do or has not done. Send photos of your handstands, KC!
Kindergarten Cop asked me to say "Farewell!" to all of you, too.  He seems at peace with leaving the Trail and is eager to get home.  We will all miss his smiling face, bear hugs, and wild stories.  Safe travels, KC!  We'll be thinking of you with each headstand and handstand, lifting rock and root beer barrel.

2 comments:

  1. What sad news. I've enjoyed "meeting" Kindergarten Cop through your blog. But, I bet he'll love being able to follow along with the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt good knowing KC was around for you two. Goodbye KC, you will be missed! Lou

    ReplyDelete