Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 114 & 115: The Gumby and Bacon Bit Support Team


(Mile 1861.5 to 1871.5 plus 10 miles detour = 20 miles; 1896 to 1914 plus 1 = 19 miles)

The highest point in OR/WA! Check.
Well, I am on the deck of my friend, Carol's, father-in-law's log home, getting a massage from my friend, Jimmy.  Life is good.

This is ranking as a bad year for fires on the PCT.
Jimmy came out yesterday.  He had offered to lend a hand this week, and when the fire detour information came out, I knew just the thing.  He hitched us around the road portion of the detour.  I know that some would not choose to do this and some may frown upon it, but my feet are too painful for any more long road walks.  The 18+ miles in and out of Siead Valley pushed my tender heels beyond their limits.  I have been walking, scampering on the balls of my feet since.  Plantar fasciitis is the unofficial diagnosis.  And the modified walking is messing with my hips.  A long road walk, I am afraid, will push my feet too far.  It isn't worth risking or delaying the rest of the hike by ruining myself on a road.  And so, for this section and the next few, we are trying to find rides for the road portions of fire detours. 

Trail angel, Jim Copenhaver! Thanks!
Jimmy gave us a lift and fed us Subway yesterday, and then hiked with us from Summit Lake to Odell Lake today.  In addition to his company and his avocados, we have enjoyed his twenty-some years of massage therapy.  I know, I choose my friends well!

Good morning!
This afternoon, Carol picked us up on Highway 58, showered us, fed us a home-cooked meal and amazing cinnamon rolls, gave us a care package, and then set us up with a place to crash for the night.  She'll return us to trail tomorrow, taking us around the road walk if the next fire detour is still in place.  As she would say, bless her heart.  :)

1900 miles down. 100 to the big 2000!
We have come to the realization that trail angels and trail magic, especially here in Oregon from friends, is as much a part of the trip as everything else.  We have been looking forward to Oregon for the last 1900 miles.  We are trying to embrace the Oregon love!  It is probably what will actually get us through Washington and to Canada.

Look! We ARE hiking together! Still. :)
So, Oregon friends, THANK YOU for your support!  We are lovin' this state!

Thanks for the magic, meal, showers, and shuttle, Carol! Thanks to Dick for us.

4 comments:

  1. I have been hearing about the amazing cinnamon rolls that Carol makes for almost seven years and yet to have one! Please tell me I don't have to hike the PCT to get one! :-) Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Lou, it worked for me! I had at least five. :)

      Delete
  2. wow! you guys are getting so close to Canada! I've been following your whole trip, and it seems like it's gone by really fast. How has it felt to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, California felt like an eternity. Maybe because it was! At 1700 miles, it was the lion's share of the hike. Oregon has flown by unbelievably fast. Having so many people catch up with us has helped. We are hoping that Washington goes just as quickly and smoothly. Then, it's home sweet home!

      Delete