Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 101 & 102: Loving/Hating Electronics


(Mile 1532 to 1587 = 25 miles; Mile 1587 to 1610 = 23 miles)

Good morning!
I am not the biggest fan of electronic gizmos ... or most technologies in general for that matter.  Oh, I know that they have their place.  I could not be writing and posting as I am if were not for this "smartphone."  But then, I won't be posting any photos anytime soon either. 

This morning, after an incident free day and night, I tapped my camera app only to find that nothing happened.  Again.  Nothing.  Power down, power up, and tap.  Nothing.  Instagram!  Cannot connect to camera.  Again.  Nothing.  Somehow, my phone camera has stopped working.  So I cannot upload photos to my blog.  Humph.

Trail magic!
Fortunately, for the trip purposes, my Canon camera is working.  For now.  The lens was jammed open only a week ago.  By some miracle, when I went to try one last time before I shipped it off, it turned on!  And now it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  This is not good.  But this is better than my phone.  So, I can take photos, but they are trapped on my camera until I get to a real computer.  This does not happen very often.

And, as for the phone, the camera is only one of a number of things driving me crazy lately.  Recently, I got what seems to be a mandatory operating system upgrade.  Or was it a downgrade?  Quickword now freezes and crashes every five minutes.  This WAS how I typed my blogs.  Gmail is now messier and harder to navigate.  I dislike the new font.  Is this also the cause of my camera issues?  Who knows.  On top of it all, my super awesome Droid RAZR Max battery is awful.  Gumby's iPhone holds a noticeably better charge.  I can barely keep my phone alive with my PowerMonkey.

And the PowerMonkey is its own kind of mess.  My adapter spoiled after three weeks.  I just got the replacement a week ago.  (We've been out for over three months.). It would work sometimes if the sun was out and you stood on one foot with your left ear to the ground and did not look at it.  Fortunately, I asked for a new battery, too, because it died just before the adapter and new battery arrived.  And now the connection between the panel and battery is getting finicky. 

Hiking Gumby.
No, I do not recommend a PowerMonkey solar charger to you.  Nor do I recommend a Droid Razr Max.  Or my little Canon camera...although I do recommend Canons in general.  My SPOT, however, is behaving like a champ.  As is my Timex watch.  My mp3 player just came off of a time-out. 

The kicker on these electronics, besides the fact that we depend on them working, is that it is so difficult to fix the problems from here!  There is not a store or a post office in sight.  My receipts and warranties are hundreds of miles from here.  My shipping address changes every five to seven days.  ...

Today I found myself totaling up the weight of my electronics. 

2 comments:

  1. You know you have a kindred spirit about electronics in me, but I have to admit it is really nice having e-mail and being able to follow you and Gumby on the trail. I know I speak for all of your loyal following in saying that we have enjoyed being able to hike the PCT with you. You are doing such a wonderful job with your blog. Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you cannot imagine how wonderful and motivating it is to hear from all of YOU. We light up when we get measages from friends and family. Couldn't do it without you!

      Delete