Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 90 to 93: A Series of Unfortunate Events

(1327 to 1354, Drakesbad = 27 miles; 1354 to 1374, Hat Creek = 20 miles; 1374 to 1396, Hat Creek Rim = 22 miles; 1396 to 1423, Burney Falls State Park = 27 miles)

I haven't post anything lately, and unlike the Sierras, this time it is not because we have no reception.  No, I have had neither the time nor the energy to write much lately.  I also debated whether or not I should.  And if I did, what I would say.  We have had a series of unfortunate events taint our trip these past few days.  But Gumby says it is part of my Trail experience, and that's what this blog is about, so I should write about it.  With that, here goes. . . .  (My apologies if it's a bit jumbled.  I've written, deleted, and rewritten it too many times.  And now I am just ready to put it behind me.)

We have, in the words of Kindergarten Cop, been "stalked."  A fellow thru-hiker has made us uneasy through both his words and his actions as well as by his refusal to take no for an answer.  Everything culminated the night of the 90th, but continued on through the next afternoon, and we have been dealing with it since.

We and everyone around us have been on alert all week. Our families and close friends have a detailed report of the events and have proven to have the organization and grit of a small cavalry.  The hikers with us when everything happened and the next day know the details as well, and news travels fast on trail.  Kindergarten Cop confronted this person as soon as he heard.  We'll take more action as necessary.  Hopefully, this will just pass.  Meanwhile, we are making plans on what to do if it does not.

We are exhausted both physically and mentally.  We've had a couple of nights with five hours of restless sleep or less.  We are both uneasy about sleeping.  We are still trying to kick our sinus infections, and our feet are killing us.  We are trying to make time to rest up and get back to our usual schedule.  The two of us are as close and as strong as ever despite everything.  We will handle this as we have every other obstacle the Trail brings forth.  I'll keep you all posted as we move on.

We are trying to have fun despite everything!

13 comments:

  1. I've been following your journey since before it began and hate the thought of it turning scary. Stick together and be the strong women you are!
    A fellow chick in Cali-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes and big hugs to both of you for an enjoyable rest of your trip! Gumby, you certainly picked a challenge for your first hiking experience! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for both of you during this difficult situation. Doc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sorry to hear about this for you and Gumby and certainly hope everything is sorted out by now! Still anxious to read your reply, but at this point you just have to take care of yourself and hike your own hike first! Rooting for you bacon bit :) --Elaina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. We didn't expect all to go smoothly and we can't support you if we don't know. Pam
    Actually we do support you if we don't know, but want to support you extra in the harder times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending good thoughts your way. Beth W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dor. We'll be thinking of you, stay strong out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tapping my foot (not so patiently) waiting for an update...thinking good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, this is disturbing to hear. I've rarely heard of any problems like this on the PCT. Stay strong and don't be afraid. Follow your instincts always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It makes me sad that this can happen; I just don't understand how anyone can act like such a jerk while being surrounded by all the glories of the PCT you all experience daily. I'm truly thankful for all the wonderful people who have come into your lives since you both started out on the trail "way back when." They're a true blessing! Love and prayers, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everyone! It has been quiet since I wrote. No sign if this person anywhere. We are on guard, but sleeping a bit better. We have a great network out here and back home...and right here! Hugs.

    Bacon Bit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good good to know things have improved. Give me a name and I know many (including myself) who will gladly take care of this idiot. We all have your back and you are well protected! I actually heard this story like a week ago. Funny how word travels on and off trail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to tell us how you heard at some point! I knew it traveled fast on trail, but not off!

      Delete