Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 85: When It Rains It Pours

(Mile 1218.5 to 1238.5, past Onion Valley = 20 miles)

Gumby and Mother Goose during one of the sun breaks.
We heard thunder all day long.
Most of today was what I would consider a bad day.  It only took 84 to have a bad trail one.  Pretty good, I'd say.

Part of the reason for the rough day is three nights of bad sleep.  The first night was a town night, and we stayed up too late and got up too early.  The second night was a town night, too, but we went to bed early -- our fellow campers stayed up late.  And then last night was just a little hellish. 

We set up camp in a saddle, cowboy-style.  I had a hard time falling asleep because it was ridiculously quiet, and I could hear every snapping of a twig, every scampering of a critter.  And then there were the mosquitoes,  buzzing hungrily in my ears.  I put on my headnet, but it blocked my view and was hot.  Too hot to fully cover up and too hot for the bugs to go to bed. 

"How does the sky look?"
"Dark and ominous," said Gumby ...
I slept fitfully for awhile, awoken by buzzing, snapping, heat, and what looked like headlamps flashing.  At 12:30 a.m., I awoke to truck lights in my face.  We were semi-close to a dirt road, and there must have been a break in the trees at just the right angle.  Headlights.  Brights.  The truck stopped.  I layed in the brights, eyes closed.  Headlights.  And the truck finally went back to creeping down the road.  Now, I was fully awake again.  Flashing lights, dozing ... thunder?  I sat up and watched the sky.  Sure enough, there was thunder and lightning on the ridge.  I shouted over to Gumby a few times and had her watch.  I suggested we set up our tents, pronto.  The storm grew louder, and the wind picked up as we struggled to undo one camping style and set up the other.  It was chaotic and took an eternity.  When I went to set my NeoAir in the tent, I found it partially deflated.  Somewhere in the shuffle, it must have snagged and ripped.  Sigh.  I asked Gumby for her flattened sit pad and arranged hers and mine the best I could.  Of course, all tucked in, I couldn't help but listen for the storm and hope that a big gust didn't tear my TarpTent to pieces.  I devised a backup plan and continued listening.  I might have fallen asleep after 3 a.m. 

Morning came early and with a start.  Gumby spotted another storm front, and we raced it to get our tents down and packed.  I was throwing the last items in as the hail was starting.  We walked in the rain the first half of the day.  Thunder constantly rumbling in the distance.  The storm never hit hard, but it never left, either.  It rained, blew, and thundered on and off all day.  It is only now becoming quiet.

This tiger lily was a moment of reprieve on a rough day.
So three bad nights sleep, storms, and Gumby and I are coming down with sinus infections.  Kwaisers (our side of the family) do not get colds, they get nasty sinus infections.  We are tired, our sinuses hurt, our throats are dry, our ears ache, and some of our snot is green.  (Lots of it is black with dirt!)  We are trying to fight them, but it's hard to tell how we're doing.  We blame it on the I-80 rest stop.  I've also had a headache for the past week -- my neck is out from sleeping funny ... this pinches nerves and gives me headaches.  Oh, how I'd love to bump into my chiropractor on trail!

And then I have a new pain in my left foot over my fourth metatarsal.  Inflamed bug bite?  Or did I step funny one too many times?

Throw all of this together with upward climbs over so-so landscapes, a little personal turmoil that even Jazzercise music couldn't shake, and it was the makings for my least good day yet.  But.  The night is calming, we're getting to bed reasonably early, and we spent a little time with Mother Goose today.  Not a terrible day in the end, but not one I care to repeat.  Here's to a better one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment