Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 52: Ramblin'

(Mile 749 to 767, Crabtree Meadows = 18 miles)

Gumby at 750, entering the High Sierras.
I am in Crabtree Meadows at the base of Mt. Whitney.  Kindergarten Cop has gone ahead to pick up a package in Independence.  Gumby fell behind somewhere during the day, and I'm guessing she is with The Canadians -- they saw her in the afternoon and are camped just a mile away.  I am debating when to take off for the summit -- the group I am with heads out at 1 a.m.  Ouch!

Kindergarten Cop on our first Sierra creek crossing. Class of 2011/Wired,   
I want to hear what your year was like here!
It was a rambling sort of day, both in terrain and hike.  We had constant ups and downs as well as our first "creek crossings."  (Nothing compared to last year, I am sure!)  The climbs were longish, but not terrible.  The downhills were nice, but not long.  Overall, the 18 went rather smoothly.  I talked Kindergarten Cop's ear off most of the day, especially after an afternoon Via coffee.  (Turns out they are great cold!)  We officially entered the High Sierras, and the mountains, meadows, and creeks were as pretty as ever.

Mt. Whitney from Crabtree Meadow. 
But, it is off to bed now.  Morning will come all too quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I WISH we had crossings like that. I have video and pics of things I still can't believe I crossed! I wish I could attach some here for you to see and compare. We knew we were crazy when multiple times part of our group would go quickly right into a crossing assuming we'd have to do it and I'd be the one to check the GPS and tell them to get out cause it's one we actually don't have to risk our lives on! The PTSD whenever we heard a stream ahead the rest of the hike was pretty bad. Brrr! So great to see you're livin' it up and I can't wait to experience like you without the snow later this summer:)

    ReplyDelete