Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 78: A Notable Day


(Echo Lake, 1094.5 to 1106.5, past Gilmore Lake= 12 miles)


A not so desolate Desolate Wilderness. (It was a Sunday ...)

So today is a benchmark day for a few reasons.  First, it is right around the halfway point day-wise.  (Figuring we will finish by October.)  Second, we crossed the 1100 mile mark.  (If I am doing the math right, 1331.5 is the halfway point mileage-wise.  We'll still be in California.  Sigh.)  But mostly, it is a big day for me because it is one day more than my longest trip ever -- a 77-day Outward Bound semester course I took when I was 21.  


Early evening over Aloha Lake.
That Outward Bound trip was the life-changing turning point that this trip, hiking the PCT, is for many.  It was after that trip that I fought my final battles with my depression demons and got a heck of a lot happier.  I ended a pretty unhealthy relationship mid-way through the trip, learning that it does not pay to play "fixer."  I started working at Nordstrom (Direct) after that trip -- due to the upbeat environment and incredible management, this would be the most positive work experience I ever had -- it was there that I learned how companies operate (well and for all) and what true leadership meant.  A handful of years after that trip, the experience lead me to Northland College, seeking a degree in Outdoor Education.  This, in turn, took me to Oregon for my current job.  And it was living in Oregon that sealed my desire to hike the PCT.  And the Outward Bound course (and all of the following wilderness trips) that let me know I was fully capable of it. 

Part of the Desolation Wilderness reminded me of the
Boundary Waters where I spent 21 days paddling with
Outward Bound. That area is deeply embedded in me.
And today, I finally went one day beyond that course.  13 years later, I am still reaping the benefits.  I cannot wait to see in just as many years where this trip is going to land me.

These wildflowers (Pretty Face or something along that line?) led us to our campsite on the ridge.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! Maybe I could put up with bugs and no bath! :-) Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Congrats on both yours and Melissa's achievement to make it to where you are. Still tracking you on our map; have visited possible trail meet ups. Would send pictures of us on those spots but don't know how. Still planning on a meet up when we can actually figure out where you will be when. Steve is so much more knowledgeable and organized than we are. He told us at Mom's Day Silver Falls that he had bought gift certificate. What a guy! And a great bird guide. Pam and John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! If you email Guy or Carl (or call Carl at the park . . . ) from Silver Falls, they can give you my exact location and when. Guy's email is on the "Trail Angels" or "Care Packages" tab. They both get info from my SPOT GPS locator that tells them where I am each night. Steve's gift certificate was an unexpected surprise! I just couldn't believe it. :) I wish I had some of you birders on my trip to help me out . . . something to work on when I return. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. So great how the chain of events led you to the trail. I always find it interesting how people happen upon the PCT and decide to commit to hiking it.
    Another thing I keep meaning to mention is that your finish date is a little risky for cold rain and possible snow in WA. You will finish, but the comfort level is what's at stake. Last year the snow started late on Sept 24th (one day after I finished, whew!) and people had horrible finishes. I experienced some rain in N WA and was happy it wasn't what others had. I skipped zeros where I could after the Sierras and pushed on mileage telling myself it would be worth it in WA and it was! I wanted to be able to buffer zeros in WA if weather got bad too. It is amazing up there and you deserve to experience it with clear skies and NO SNOW. Plus, soaking in the monument with nice weather is better than rushed pics and no reflection time with rain/snow. I sat there for two hours soaking it in on a great afternoon. Just something to be aware of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to try to beat that finish date by as much as possible. I don't want to hike in wet, cold rain and snow either! We just caught up with our schedule. We were talking about it, but this confirms, neros the rest of the way! And ... I am planning a little solo sometime soon here! I'll let you know how it goes. I've been practicing sleeping alone. Thanks, Erin!

      Delete
  4. Good idea with the practicing. I wouldn't swear off zeros all together. Just be aware. Listen to your body and take them when needed. I did Ashland and Portland with a double zero in Portland before doing WA without a zero and my body was ready to be done! Do what you gotta do and take care. You got this!

    ReplyDelete