Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 80: Busted!


(Mile 1127.5 to Tinker Knob, 1148.5 = 21 miles)


Rock cairn art.
I had service this morning from our campsite overlooking Tahoe, and the first message changed the day and perhaps trip.  It was from Erin "Wired" Saver, class of 2011.  She had written about possibly trail angeling us in Oregon.  I had sent updated information about where we'd be.  We'd love to see her!

Lake Tahoe. Reminds me of my friends, Ryan and Rebecca, who got married there!
But that is not all she wrote.  That was the first paragraph.  The second was the long one and the one that had me sitting up straight in bed and gave me butterflies.  She strongly encouraged us to do a solo section in Northern California.  As in split up.  As in camp alone.  As in in the dark.  She went on to say a bit about her solo experience and the growth that came from it.  And how we wouldn't want to come to the end of the trip with what ifs and regrets.  I was busted.

It was another great sky and great rock formation day. It is amazing how lighting affects everything.
See, I have known all along that I should do at least some of this solo.  That there are things I need to learn that would not, could not happen with another.  But, I am afraid of the dark.  And over the course of the trip so far, I had myself convinced that I was getting enough solo time, enough time to think that I didn't actually need to hike any of the trail solo.  I really had let it go.  Until this morning, when, out of the blue, Wired told me to do a leg solo.  No one has said a word to me about it.  I think my family and friends feel more comfortable knowing that I am with someone.  I know I do!  And then Wired comes along and just says it and doesn't really give me an out.  It is JUST what I needed!  A push!  I am ridiculously glad and thankful.

Sun setting behind Tinker Knob.
And so, I don't know quite when or how I'll do, but I will be hiking solo sometime in the next few weeks.  Gumby, hopefully, will not.  She does not want to.  She said she grew up as an only child and had plenty of alone time.  She'll find hikers to travel with at whatever town we stop in.  Meanwhile, she's helping me out now by sleeping a little ways away so that I can get used to staying alone. 

Billy's peak! Just for you, Billy!
I have been thinking about this all day.  I am nervous and excited.  I know it is what I need and that this is the right time.  I will go for it soon so that I don't chicken out.  I can use all of the encouragement you have.  Wired has already written back with recommendations of where to do it and tricks to help yourself sleep.  I am grateful.  For the support and especially for inadvertently calling me out!  Thanks, Erin/Wired!

Sunset from camp. A great night for a little solo time.

4 comments:

  1. Dorothy, I am a friend of Deb's "Kemo",(Melissa's mom); so thrilled to be reading your posts. A girlfriend and i used to hike all over washington state, we "bagged peaks over 6,000, made it up to 11,000 on mt. rainier "when we were your age" and used to discuss things like Is the Unexamined Life worth Living? and of all your senses, which one could you live without? then we learned the greek alphabet frontwards and backwards....have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my kind of adventures! I have never been to Rainier and am still working on examining life. Great to hear from you! Melissa is doing an incredible job. And she shares Aunt Debbie's cookies. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha, ha, busted, I like it! You've made it official now that you've announced it! I really hope it goes well and can't wait to hear about it. Even if you don't like it, you will finish the trail with no regrets or wonders of what it would be like to go solo. Either way, it will be a growing experience that will change you and that's pretty awesome. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with yer friend erin. There is nothing like solo.

    ReplyDelete