Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 55: Falling Apart


(Mile 782 to 796 = 14 miles)

Morning in Kings Canyon.
Well, the gymnasts are falling apart this stretch of the trail.  Physically, our bodies are holding up well, and mentally, we are not as crazy as we were in the desert.  But we are running into some problems here and there.  And fortunately, we are around to bail each other out.

Alpine lakes are ridiculously blue.
 As far as I go, I have lost my hand sanitizer, will be out of fuel before resupply, and my Aquamira (water treatment) bottle sprung a leak and is gone.  Gumby's phone was soaked in one of her creek falls the other day and is on the fritz, she is almost out of TP, and does not have maps beyond the next day or two.  Lucky for us, we are not alone.  I am borrowing sanitizer and water drops; and if I run out of fuel, Gumby has extra.  I've been taking extra photos and serving as the alarm clock; I have extra TP; and, although I am out of paper maps, I have Halfmile's maps on my phone -- which is working.

Glen Pass. 11978'.
There are many arguments for both traveling alone and traveling with others.  And while, at times, I think I might like to travel alone, I know that overall I am best off traveling with another.  Not only does it help keep the nighttime monsters at bay and lend me an extra set of everything, but it also gives a friend to share sunsets and decisions with as well as a lifetime of memories.

The meadows are lush garden wonderlands.
 It has been a spectacular day.  Kings Canyon is phenomenal.  We have lost Kindergarten Cop temporarily, but are hoping to catch him in the next day or so.  The terrain has gotten much more rugged.  We're still trying to make 16's to Yosemite!  (Today's pass was a bit of a surprise ... we haven't been looking ahead.  We'll see what tomorrow brings!)  Goodnight, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Here's hoping the next few days go well for you and Gumby. You know that for safety and many other reasons you want to have a partner doing this. I think Gumby deserves a medal for doing so well on the trail. There are plenty of people out there with a lot more experience than she had who would of bailed weeks ago! Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's thrilled to know there is a finisher's medal at the end! She deserves it.

      Delete