Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 54: Head Over Heels for Forrester and Beyond

(Crabtree Meadows, 767 to Lower, 766 to 782 = 17 miles)

The meadows are such a delight. Straight out of Bambi.
We are nestled in our tents in what might just be the most beautiful place I have ever seen.  Completely surrounded by jagged mountains on three sides, a lush meadow with a babbling creek below, a canyon like I've never seen the likes of, waiting for us just around the bend.  They (the NPS employees at the ranger station that I reported smoke on a ridge to) said the Sierras were even more stunning on the other side of Forrester Pass, and they appear to be right.

Gumby filling up with water before the climb over Forrester Pass.
Gumby and I hiked together all day today.  A solid seventeen Sierra miles and Forrester Pass.  Forrester is the highest point on the PCT.  The climb and descent were relatively straightforward and easy -- minus the altitude and heavy packs.  (We're still carrying five days of food -- resupply is at Muir Trail Ranch.)  For some reason, the altitude kicked my behind today.  I just couldn't catch my breath and was somewhat nauseous.  Gumby, on the other hand, told me all about her favorite Michigan vacation spots the whole way up.  She just chatted away while I tried to puff out a few words that made some sort of sense -- my brain wasn't firing on all pistons.  And I was becoming a DICC!  Disoriented, Irritable, Confused, and Combative!  We took a break at the summit and then posed with headstands.  Which felt surprisingly good.  We have plans for more.  Soon we will find out if Kindergarten Cop can do them ... 

Looking back ...
Tomorrow, we head down the canyon and catch Kindergarten Cop at the junction to Kearsarge Pass.  He should be back from Independence in the afternoon.  Then, onward!  We hope to catch up with one of my ranger friends before the 4th and spend some time exploring Yosemite.  It should be a schedule we can make, especially with the low snow this year.  (We had about twenty steps in the snow today.)  Looking forward to seeing more of the Sierras.  I am falling desperately in love.  

The highest point on the PCT. Check.

Headstands for Forrester Pass -- Bacon Bit style.
Moon over the ridge. This was one of the most beautiful spots we've stayed.
Camp at the base of Forrester. Breathtaking.
This is the sum total of snow we encountered on Forrester.

Headstands for Forrester Pass -- Gumby style.

7 comments:

  1. I'm heading out on the JMT in a little less than a month. Seeing your pics makes me jump around like a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see you love the Sierras too! You are now in the area where Andy and I spent our honeymoon 47 years ago. We were lower down in the parks, but it is all beautiful. Keep safe, well and enjoy! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I'm so jealous looking at all these pictures and reading your stories. I'm stuck in a cubicle all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your headstand photo looks good against the gray rocks. I think you'll love Yosemite. I'm blessed to live very nearby and hike there almost weekly. It's heaven on earth, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo jealous of your Sierra experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks to me like you're "heels over head" much of the time! Such great photos and captions and I continue to be inspired by your experiences, dedication and reflection...

    Looking forward to reading much more!

    Bring on more of those high Sierra meadows!

    ReplyDelete