Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 79: A Long, Slow Day


(Mile 1106.5 to 1127.5, just past Barker Pass = 21 miles)


Wild tiger lilies ... you know how I feel about wildflowers!

Well, we made our 20 miles today, but it was a long, slow day.  We only saw one other PCT hiker today, three backpackers, and what seemed like a mother/daughter camped at Barker Pass.  The mother and daughter were the only ones we spoke with.  I guess the Desolation Wilderness is desolate, after all!


So, we decided that we would do something
trail special on Tuesdays. That is full of candy
for our fellow hikers.

The day's miles were easy enough, so I am not sure why we are so tired and had a hard time hitting the 20-mile mark.  And it's the day after a half day.  Hmmm.

What a long day to get here! We were thrilled to hear vehicles passing.

We are also starting to get a little crazy again.  In the regular world, I always want more time to just think.  But, out here, you get around 14 hours a day of it.  Fourteen.  For, oh, say, six days a week ... times eleven weeks ... Yes.  Weird things start happening.  Gumby has taken to singing "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall."  Repeatedly.  Fortunately, she sings in her head.  I am turning to the mp3 player ... while my batteries work.  Books on tape start back up tomorrow.  If anyone has any suggestions for maintaining sanity out here, please share!  I have my own tricks, but even they are getting old.

Sunset over Lake Tahoe. Perfect camping.

We did, however, end up with a fantastic site overlooking Lake Tahoe.  And we're cowboy camping, so it will be the first thing we see in the morning.  And with that, I am calling it a night!


Headstands for Dicks Pass. Thank goodness the passes are getting easier!

3 comments:

  1. Okay this is weird but sometimes when I need to quiet my brain I go through all the letters in the alphabet, thinking up really cool baby names. Or, "I'm hiking on the JMT and I am bringing a..apple. Baby wipes. Carrots." Or I just write my novel in my head. Or house plans. Or make a list of all the places I want to see. Or try to think of all my ex boyfriend's names. (Hmm. That wouldn't last 14 hours).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just what I was looking for! Thanks, Mary. Alphabet game is a g ood one. Endless topics to choose from ... this might get me to Oregon. :) And then I'll write my novel.

      Delete
  2. I've never taken on an adventure like the PCT, but just throwing this out there for your sanity, maybe try memorizing poetry. Start with Pioneers O Pioneers by Walt Whitman. It's so long it will be a real challenge. Also, it just super cool and relevant to what you're doing.
    "We detachments steady throwing,
    Down the edges, through the passes, up the mountains steep,
    Conquering, holding, daring, venturing, as we go, the unknown ways, Pioneers! O pioneers!"

    ReplyDelete