Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 61: Hiking to Our Own Beat


(Selden Pass, 866 to 883.5 = 17.5 miles)

We are above 10000', set up to tackle Silver Pass in the morning, a mere three miles away.  It was a long day, but we got into camp in good time and with little trouble.  We are still trying to get to Tuolumne in four days.  So far, so good.  We are going to try to swing a stop at Reds Meadows for treats and maybe a shower!

Morning, unbroken.

Kindergarten Cop has parted ways for the time being.  It was a hike-your-own-hike decision.  An important one for all of us.  We have to make sure that we are spending our time the way we each need to.  Many of us have waited years for this opportunity, so we try to make sure we are spending each moment wisely.  And allowing others to do the same.  We are all out here for different reasons, so we all have a different hike to hike.  I will miss him, though.  And hope to catch him again.  Kindred spirits, we are.


Hooray for plentiful Sierra water!

As for Gumby and me, the hike is going well.  I may try to take a few more solo mornings to make sure I have the alone time I need, but we talked about the trip quite a bit on our hot springs day and have things fairly settled for the time being.  I enjoy the companionship for dinner and in the evening, and we're a decent match for pace.  I sometimes wonder if I should spend more time alone ... but I just don't know.  Sounds great in theory, but don't many things?  I just don't want to reach the end of the trip with any regrets.  Sigh.  

These sweet little hatchlings wanted food from mama!

One day at a time.  One pass at a time.  One state at a time.  ...  We'll hit 888 tomorrow!  About one third finished.  Wild, isn't it?!  Night!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You are in such a grand landscape for deep thinking! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving reading through your posts, Bacon Bit! I'm trying for a thru-hike next year, and I hope I can see the Sierras as you have--what incredible mountains!!

    ReplyDelete