Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 51: Oh, This Is Why We Slow Down


(Mile 731 to 749 = 18 miles)

View over what I believe is Mono Lake.
Today was a much higher mileage day than expected.  By 11 a.m., we had covered a mere 5 miles.  Given, we had taken breaks for layering down, second breakfast in stacks of boulders, and water from the prettiest little meadow you ever did see.  It looked like a lawn, dotted with Shooting Stars and Monkeyflowers; a babbling creek landscaped along the far edge.  I am sure if we stayed longer, fairies would have appeared from behind the willows.   
Shooting stars covered this magical meadow.

But, breaks aside, the Sierras just sort of kicked our butts.  It was a slow, hot climb most of the day, working our way up to 11,000 feet.  I don't know if it was the altitude, the toasty Sierra sun, lactic acid, or just pure exhaustion, but it was a hard hike.  When we were no farther than 5 miles just an hour before noon, I didn't think we'd hit more than 15 for the day. 

Hello, Sierras! Constant beauty.
They say you slow down 5 to 8 miles a day in the Sierras.  After today, I can see why.  We managed 18, but without a big pass or so much as a glimpse of snow.  (I wondered many times what the class of 2011 went through as they tackled these miles.  I am extremely grateful for our weather and have tremendous respect for those who braved this terrain last year.  Ahem, Erin/Wired.)  I don't think we'll keep this pace.  Be it the snow, the altitude, or the fairies sprinkling stay-here-and-admire-the-view dust on us -- we'll slow down.  But, for now, we'll take it all!

And, with that, I must sleep.  Another big day awaits us.

13 comments:

  1. Probably Owens Lake if you are in Cottonwood Pass area. Mono is north of Mammoth. Am enjoying "hiking" with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Should be getting closer to Mono now! We're nearing Reds Meadow ...

      Delete
  2. Hi, from Jazzercise! Kathy says to tell you we "flew" tonight (part of a routine you refer to as flying). So, we "flew" for you! Was at the Cascades Raptor Center down in Eugene on Saturday. What an amazing place -- have never been so close to bald eagles, red-tail hawks, all kinds of owls.... Truly a paradise, and I will definitely be returning. I understand Dylan and Guy are hiking out of Sisters, but when they return the Snickers "pipeline" will be back in business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Kathy that I know just the routine and have it on my mp3 player. I've been flying, too! I have never been to thar raptor center! I'll have to make a trip down when I return -- sounds incredible. Wishing I knew my Sierra birds better ....

      Delete
  3. Good grief girl! Doing 18 miles while hiking up to 11,000 feet is nothing short of remarkable! Give yourselves credit! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you in your Sierra bliss! I am still in shock over how different it is from the Sierra I knew. I inched through that blanket of white and promised myself each day I'd return to see what was under all that snow. I'm headed back to do the JMT at the end of Aug and can't wait! I just hope it doesn't prevent me from doing trial magic when you come through this area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about your 2011 hike daily. I just cannot imagine what you went through! We'll have to compare notes some day. Under all of that snow? Gorgeous! You are going to love it.

      Delete
    2. We will have to compare notes, pics, and video. Can't wait for my JMT trip! The snow is even following me up here. Just had to postpone a trip this weekend due to high snow levels:(

      Delete
  5. Hi DBK, been following your trip! My family & I will be camping at Devils Postpile campground July 1-6. Stop by for a meal & sun-shower if you're coming through then! We're in the old brown LazyDaze camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just do that! We are hoping to swing through Devils Postpile tomorrow!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Dorothy! I've had your blog sent to my email so I haven't yet commented to let you know how much I enjoy your blog and how much I look forward to it. Haven't gotten one for a few days...I hope you are safe and well, just resting or out of range.... The Snickers have been passed to Dylan. Happy trails, my friend! Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean! We are safe, well, and happy. There is just no cell service in the Sierras! We found a pocket tonight and are taking advantage of it. I think of you all often. I have lost my arm definition -- I need our weight routines! The Sierras are incredible. Today we hit the 900 mile mark. :)

      Delete
    2. oh, dearie, Andi has some good ones for us! So glad to hear you were just out of reach and are back in for the time. Nine hundred miles!! Holy cow! You are amazing! I hope you'll do a narrated slide show for us when you are back. Miss you! Stay safe and happy! oxj

      Delete