Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 31: Tortoise or Hare: Revisited


Raven on a dead tree.
(430, Messenger Flats to 448, plus 2 extra road miles = 20)

(We are camped above the highway, the moon shining on our faces as the hum of traffic lulls us to sleep.  It was an easy 20 today, broken up by 3 hours at the KOA.  We had pop, ice cream, and chips as well as a shower and a quick dip in the pool.  Many thanks to the KOA for amazing customer service from a state parks ranger!)

So, I have still been thinking about the while tortoise and hare bit, and I gained a new perspective yesterday when I learned that we had passed our friend, Maverick, once again.  Maverick IS the hare.  We are tortoises.

Scat! With parachute cord tied in a
knot and a plastic bag.
Let me begin by saying that I love that Maverick is a hare.  It is one of many charming qualities about him that has helped me develop a soft spot for him.  That and the fact that he didn't back down when I gave him a hard time about carrying paper towels (an entire roll!) with him on the PCT.  Seriously.  On the outside if his pack.  I am just dying to get in there and see what else he is carrying.  No maps.  Yes, paper towels and a permanent marker.  But, I digress.

We met Maverick a couple of weeks ago in the San Jacintos.  He was hiking with Viper at the time.  Viper had maps and was his pace -- Maverick's friend, Goose, started the trail with him and then departed after 2 days.  (Goose carried the maps.)  We crossed paths with the two of them on and off.  Then, in Big Bear, we met Viper sans Maverick.  He said Maverick was traveling with a couple others, taking long breaks and then power-hiking, and that he, Viper, just couldn't keep up.

We caught Maverick at Deep Creek hot springs and again at Silverwood Lake, just before the Cajon Pass McDonald's.  He was hiking with Dyno at the time, and the two were going to push for a 36 mile day to get to McDonald's that night.  When we arrived, the two were back for breakfast.  They left an hour or two before us.  And then, two hours later, we bumped into Maverick lounging at a water cache -- he'd eaten no less than 5000 calories that morning.  Yes, 5000.  He departed with us and quickly passed us.

My left foot.
However, the next morning, we passed Maverick sleeping on the side of the jeep road.  He caught up with us later, and he had gone to bed at 6:45 pm with the sun on his face.  He didn't wake up until after 7:30 the next morning.  13 hours of sleep.  So much for 36 miles.  And 5000 calories for breakfast!  We leap-frogged a couple of times that day and hitched to Wrightwood together.  Maverick left a day before us from Wrightwood.  But two days later, we found Dyno behind us and supposedly Maverick behind him.  Maverick had caught Dyno, and they took a zero on trail.  Then they accidentally took the 20-mile detour instead of the 5 (none of them are carrying maps!)  When we saw Dyno, they had already done 18 miles by lunch.  Maverick never showed at the water stop, and he wasn't in Agua Dulce, either.  I am sure he is fine.  But I did realize that he was indeed, a hare.  He's having a blast, I am sure.  And I am almost jealous of the adventure he is having.  But I am not 23 anymore.  I could not hike 36 miles and eat 5000 calories.  Nor could I yet hike 18 before noon.

The yuccas glow like candles in the burn areas.
We all hike our own hike.  The hike we want to hike.  We try not to judge each other’s hikes because we know there is no one way and none of us can say what another should or should not do.  I worry about Maverick like a big sister; but he has a good head.  And I am enjoying his hare-ness -- it's the only way we tortoises can keep up with him and enjoy his company and wild stories.  I'm looking forward to hearing what happened since his 20-mile detour.  I'll let you know.

Sunset from bed.


4 comments:

  1. Yuccas are not only beautiful, they make the best stick horses! Before the age of 7 and my sister and I got our first horses, we made beautiful stick horses out of yuccas, complete with bridles and tassels. Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have seen that, Lou!

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what scat that would be, my wild guess is opossum, they're dumb enough to eat plastic bags and cord. And the shape is about right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't even think of an opossum! Must have been painful. :)

      Delete