Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 47 & 48: Hello, Sierras!


(Mile 689 to 702.5, Kennedy Meadows = 13.5 miles & a zero!)


Well, we've made it.  Over 700 miles.  More than twenty-five percent finished.  We've reached Kennedy Meadows, the gateway to the Sierras.  We are thrilled!


Tonight, we are tucked in the spare room of one of the locals.  John met us at the Kennedy Meadows General Store (the hub of town, population 200) and invited us to stay at his place -- a gorgeous mountain cabin complete with two dogs and two fantastic cats.  Yes, cats.  Teenage cats.  Mike and Suzie.  Sister and brother.  Total trouble-makers and as friendly as can be.  I love them.  And, I have to say, I kind of love Kennedy Meadows.

Entering the Sierras!
The store is wonderful.  They have a little bit of everything for hikers -- a washing machine and clothes line, two outdoor showers, a small grill, a huge wraparound deck just made for meeting, greeting, and hanging out for all hours, a television, a mail room, a camping area, and all of the resupply basics.  The owners are also incredibly nice.  Even though 500+ of us have already been through, and we must be driving them crazy by now.

Meet Mike. I love him.
I would have hung out at the store all day, but instead, I followed an invitation, and went to the local fire department training for most of the afternoon.  I met a few guys on the department last night and told them that they reminded me if the men on the rural fire department that I volunteer with in Oregon.  They do Saturday trainings and offered to bring me along.  I decided what the heck, and went.  We did ladder training and wildland fire training.  It was long and hot, but well worth it.  They are good people.  And I feel like I understand this place a bit better having spent time with them.  And after the training, I saw all of them again on the store deck for the Saturday night potluck.  Locals bring dishes and eat first; hikers donate five bucks and gladly eat real food second.  Like I said, this place is growing on me.  Did I mention it is all off the grid?  Everyone.  Talk about a town that could steal my heart.

And, I went to the local fire department meeting! Thanks, guys!
Tomorrow, we head out.  With our 40-pound packs with bear canisters and 9 days of food.  And with Kindergarten Cop!  He's hiking the Sierras with us.  I couldn't be happier.  It has been a great start to this second phase of the trip.

3 comments:

  1. OK, now you are going into some of my favorite country anywhere. I spent many summers hiking, fishing and camping all over the Sierras. When you get into the high country, you will have big trees, but unlike Oregon, you will have unobstructed views that go on for miles. Enjoy! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. (gotta warn you....Jazzercise is putting together a "care offering.") Jean E. and I have been trying to find a map of the PCT that would be about 12-14" square or so. Do you have any idea if something like this exists -- or where we could go looking for one? You two sound like you're really on a roll! We are so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... try Google Images. You might find something there. Make Dylan help if you have troubles! I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete