Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 42: Presence

(586 to 607.5 =  21.5 miles)

I love the smell of sage. It reminds me of both Central
Oregon and my mate.
Today I spent most of the day thinking about what I was thinking about.  I decided it would be a good day to work on being present.  So, I watched my thoughts awhile and then tried my stand-by meditation to see if I could clear them all out.  I had mixed results.
 
The meditation is a sensory meditation I learned as a part of the independent study naturalist program, Kamana.  First, you give yourself "owl eyes" -- expanding your vision to the peripherals.  Then, you focus on your "deer ears" (or coyote ears) -- paying attention to all of the different sounds and noticing where they are coming from.  Next is "dog nose" -- breathing in the scents of the woods.  And finally, you finish with "raccoon skin" -- feeling the temperature, texture, and pressure sensations on your skin. 

One of my favorite sounds is that
of the wind in the pines. It brings
me back to my childhood in Michigan.
Perfect for the PCT, right?  Well, it was.  Minus the fact that I heard background music all day long.  In my head.  And not just any tunes; no, it was a default to Jazzercise numbers -- but I could switch to the "America's Best Idea" soundtrack.  And that was it.  All.  Day.  Long.  When I tried to turn on my mp3 player, the battery was dead.  It's half past hiker midnight, and I still hear it.  I am getting a little concerned.

Other than the music problem, it was a good day.  Met up with a couple from Canada that I camped with at Kickoff -- Sag Hag and Robo Knee.  A wonderful couple around their 60's.  And tonight, we are camped with Shutterburst.  Lots of bear tracks on the trail, and neither he nor we were excited about camping alone.  A welcome camping companion -- he told us stories and generally cracked us up before bed.  He may be even more bearanoid than I!  (He'd been saving up his pee for marking in case he had to stay alone.  :)  But it's been a long one.  Time to rest.  Hopefully, it'll clear my head of songs.  Or I might really be going crazy.

We zipped by the 600-mile marker today!

No comments:

Post a Comment