Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 33: Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Dark?


(Agua Dulce, 454.5 to 468.5 = 14 miles)

Me.  We hit the trail a little before 11 am this morning, and by 1:45 pm, we were laying in the little shade we could find.  It was hot.  100 degrees hot.  And we were roasting.  Perhaps literally.  Gumby said I didn't look good.  I didn't feel good, either.  So we stayed in the shade until nearly 6 pm.  We napped, we played on the Internet, we made dinner.  We had decided to try out night hiking.  We would hike tonight, get up early, hike until about noon, nap and eat dinner, and then start hiking around 5 pm and repeat.  Sounds great in the daylight.  And it wasn't actually all that bad. 

I really am a little afraid of the dark.  It's whatever might be out there that I can't see that gets me.  I have a runaway imagination, and I am fantastic at getting myself (and others -- thanks again, Marlene!) all worked up.  Like running out of the house screaming and staying with a friend's parents worked up.  But.  I am not the type to let a fear stop me.  I am more the type to throw myself into the fear and see if I can't learn something. 

And so, tonight we night hiked.  Gumby led.  I made things up behind her.  I actually think repeated nights of this could help me make some progress.  As my friend Melanie pointed out, when you stay up 'til all hours and realize nothing is happening, it gets a little less spooky.  The moon is bright and the days are hot, so now is a good time to get in a little free trail therapy.  It is one of the reasons I'm out here, afterall.

6 comments:

  1. When I first started working nights at CLO it scared me; the things that were beyond the circle of the flash light. It was crazy considering I had spent a lot of nights as kid sleeping out on the trampoline...trick was, to fall asleep before Mom shut out the portch light. I can't say that I've progressed to a point that I'm going to go wander around the trails at the places I camp in the mountains (actually, I still try to make sure I fall asleep before the fire goes out), but the night shift helped and I have to admit, at least around town or with a friend up, I enjoy walking at night because of the things we don't usually see out during the day. Maybe you'll find some friendliness in the dark. :)

    ~Randi

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good strategy! Before cars had air conditioning, it was the norm to travel through the desert at night. We used to go moonlight riding at night and it was lovely. I suppose this is not the time to tell you the ghost stories about the country you are now hiking through! Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ghost stories! I do pretty well with my own imagination ...

      Delete
  3. Well I got over my fear of my own home. Pretty sure I'm still scared of the dark out in the wilderness... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dor - you know you are always welcome at the little house in M.V. - scared or not. :)
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the magic of the night walking without a flashlight. Great post DBK!

    ReplyDelete