Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 44: Checkin' In

(Mile 427.5 to 447.5 = 20 miles)

Sunrise over camp. Last sunrise in the desert!
Today might have been the last day of the Southern California desert; we'll hit the Sierra in just a couple of days.  And so, I thought it might be a good day to check in, physically and mentally.  (We'll do physical today, mental tomorrow.  It's pushing hiker midnight!)

Trail blaze - the first I've seen of
this style in California.
Physically, I am doing fairly well.  I am dirty and stinky, but my scalp doesn't itch as much as it used to, and my skin is growing accustomed to the sporadic washing.  My feet seem to be just about done blistering, though the occasional compression blister still appears on my heels.  (Popped one last night -- it feels much better today.)  And my feet do scream in the morning for the first ten minutes of standing.  It's enough to make me want to sit back down.  A shooting pain that I think is a result of other muscles and tendons pulling.  They seem to be responding to massage and stretching the calves.  It's on my radar as a pain of interest. 

Legs feel great.  My left knee is solid; right hurts a bit.  But I rolled my ankle three times the other day trying to look up photos for Taka while talking to him and walking down a rocky road.  Poor choice!  I think the knee is related to the ankle.  Not a real concern yet.

Stomach isn't entirely thrilled with trail food still -- it may never be.  I have exchanged a few foods to see what that does.  Oh, and I swear I am gaining weight.  I lost 5 to 7 right off the bat, but then I switched a medicine, and I think it has me gaining.  I am going to be the only PCT thru-hiker who gains weight.  Sigh.

Goodbye, desert! Hello, forest!
Other than that, all is well.  Energy level is high enough and recovery time fast enough.  I am very happy with my food choices -- I seem to have enough good carbs, fats, and proteins to keep my body going.  All of that researching and number crunching has paid off!  (Although I do have too much food.  I tripled or quadrupled each serving -- a bit much for a gal my size!)  I could use more rest, but seem to be getting just enough to get by.  We're getting fairly strong and somewhat faster.  This week has been a good test.  I do think we're ready for the Sierras!

Trail love from other hikers. These kinds of messages are lifesavers.
(Oh, I'll give you my update on Gumby, too.  Her hip is bothering her a bit because of where her pack sits, and she strained her lower back at the beginning of this section.  The back is improving, the hip still bugs her.  Her knees and feet have the usual pains, but nothing show-stopping.  Overall, she is physically doing well.  This trip is not easy on a body.  We are as good as can be expected!)



1 comment:

  1. Dorothy, are you sure we are not related? I can promise you that I would gain weight on the trail. All that exercise is such a good reason to indulge in goodies! Lou

    ReplyDelete