Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 34: Casa de Luna

(468 under the powerlines to 478.6, Casa de Luna = 10.6 miles)

Oasis in the desert!
Well, we're at Casa de Luna.  Oh, we had intended to stop in, but we had not intended to stay.  Misjudgment on our part that such a thing was possible.  I was actually pretty sold until I bumped into Mellow Yellow of all people!  Mellow Yellow and Maddog were the two I met at the end of April at Kickoff.  I never thought I'd see Mellow again.  And I would not have had he not gotten tangled up in Casa de Luna for nearly a week!  Thank goodness for hares on this trail.

Casa de Luna is run by the trail angels, the Andersons.  They are known for taco salads at night, pancakes in the morning, and the occasional Hershey's syrup wrestling in between.  It can be a bit of a wild place, but is relatively tame tonight.  In addition to Mellow, Maverick has caught up.  He actually passed us while we were sleeping, night hiking.  We heard a couple of males chatting as they passed by at the wee hours.  Gumby joked this morning that it was probably Maverick -- and what do you know, she was right on.  I weirded him out by asking if he got new shoes and then asking if they were the Brooks Cascadias -- sure enough, they were.  (You get good at watching tracks out here.  It's part of figuring out who is where.)  Maverick is alive and well.  He is leaving later tomorrow, so we'll leapfrog again.

Thanks for the cold one, Casa de Luna!
So, a low-mileage day, but Casa de Luna is all part of the trail experience.  I am eager to get back on the trail and get hiking, though the afternoon heat has been too much to get too far.  It is a bit of a balance, spending time socializing and time hiking.  I tend a bit towards the latter, but know the former is important, too. And the socializing is part of why I'm out ... but, still, I love the sunrises and sunsets; the views, the birds, and the wildflowers.  This is part of the complete experience, but it is not why I am here.  Clearly, something I struggle with a bit, isn't it?  :)

I ran into Mellow Yellow again, afterall!
Being a tortoise might just pay off ...

5 comments:

  1. your weather going into the Mojave is looking pretty good, for the desert at least - mid 80's. Be sure to take some electrolytes though!

    I'm loving your blog, I feel like I'm hiking too! Thanks for letting us all follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up with high winds and relatively cold temps! I'm grateful, but 12 hours of wind howling in our ears got to be a little much. Amazing skies, though! I'll post photos soon!

      Delete
  2. I love the hat!! Being a hat person, I love hats, but doing what you are doing, you should wear a good hat. You look pretty in anything you wear, so go for a nice hat with a wide brim. :-) Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are looking so great, Bacon Bit! Such good pics!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete