Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 40: On the Trail Again


(Tehachapi, 558.5 to 568 = 9.5 miles)

Thanks for letting us camp at the airport, Tehachapi!
Well, we finally escaped Tehachapi at 2 p.m. today.  I only say escaped because we almost had to stay another day.  There was a big mix-up at the pharmacy, and it was looking like what I needed would not be available until tomorrow.  (I could not believe my luck!)  Until we figured out there was a mix-up.  And by then, my doctor's office was on lunch.  We waited, and eventually everything was straightened out.  I don't know if I've ever spent as much time at a Kmart as I have these past two days.  

PCT interpretive panel.
On the bright side, we did, however, meet a local who waited for us at the pharmacy, treated us to Starbucks, and dropped us off at the trail.  Thanks, Brandon!  Everything seems to come full circle eventually on the PCT.

There are windmills everywhere in this section. And wind.
The hike was another blustery one; and so, tonight, we're tucked in a juniper ... with giant ants and giant translucent bugs that I have never seen the likes of before.  The hum of Highway 58 will be lulling us to sleep.  It's always a bit of an off day, the day you return to trail, and today was no exception.  I am as scattered as this blog.  But this is a nine day stretch (our longest) -- there will be plenty of time to settle in.  And we'll probably be glad we had so much time off in Tehachapi.  I will certainly never forget that town.  (Fantastic German bakery if you ever pass through -- thanks, Dan!)  Full of trail magic just when you need it.
Free-range cows choose to hike the PCT.

5 comments:

  1. Happy to see you are on your way. Folks were beginning to get concerned because you usually do not go this long between blogs. You were even a topic of discussion at our board meeting last night. You both have a following at the park! :-) Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you again! My friend Sue and I are off to the Gorge this morning on a Volkswalk -- haven't done this before but sounds like fun. Sort of a mini-micro-barely-in-the-ballpark hike compared to the PCT but, hey...we'll be thinking of you guys! Take good care! (The bugs sound fascinating!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of those! They sound fun. Hope you enjoyed the Gorge, I can't wait to get there!

      Delete
  3. Hey! Been following your blog on and off along with other PCT hiker' blogs (to inspire myself to do the PCT in the future, of course!) and felt compelled to comment (finally) after your friend's comment above. A good advice: I think it'll help your readers if you can post the exact date that follows the number of days you've been on the trail (Example: Day 40, Sunday June 10th, etc.) since the actual blog post date is different I'm guessing. Only because I know how friends and families can be worried! Anyways, happy trails and HYOH! - Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stepping is as Bacon Bit's Mom. Orders (non-negotiable) were not to use dates in a public forum. No one except a close few need to know where and when the kids are (okay, first time I put 'kids' out there in public, but I suspect it's better than 'the girls'), and both Gumby and Bacon Bit have been in (almost) daily contact with the folks. We put that message out to a group of friends. GB

    ReplyDelete