Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 39: "I Was So Mad"


Home sweet home for the night! I have never stayed at an airport ...
(Zero!)

That was the title of one of my favorite children's books.  A Little Critter book in which everything that happens to the main character is a closed door.  Each page ends with, "I was so mad."  A bad day kind of book that, as an adult, helps you poke a little fun at yourself when you're having a bad day.  And today,  for the first time, I had a bad day.  (Well, relatively speaking.  A Bacon Bit version of a bad day -- there are, of course, still bunny rabbits and rainbows on my bad days.)  So, in the style of this book, here was my day:

The day started with an early (but loving) phone call that woke me up enough to get my mind working on the tasks for the day, which put an end to sleeping in.  I was so mad.

I was nearly late for the free hot breakfast.  Almost everything was gone and cold.  I was so mad.

We went to the post office, and my shoes were not in.  They shipped via UPS and were trapped in Mojave.  I am in Tehachapi.  It turns out that UPS will not ship to the post office in Tehachapi.  I was so mad.

These trail angels left us apples (!), shade, and water on the trail ...
and then drove us all over in town! Thank you, thank you!
I had my doctor call a prescription into the pharmacy for me.  The pharmacy was out of the medicine.  I was so mad.

I went to Kmart for stove fuel.  They did not carry it.  AutoZone was out.  While I was at AutoZone, the store who does have the fuel, it closed.  I missed it by 5 minutes.  I was so mad.

I ended the day without shoes, fuel, and my prescription.  I finally conceded that we would need to stay an extra day in Tehachapi.  But, I wasn't so mad.  It had gotten pretty ridiculous, and trail magic came our way.  A woman leaving the post office stopped her van as she drove by and gave us two pbj's and two bananas.  My shoes will ship to Kennedy Meadows instead.  My doctor's receptionist was extremely helpful.  A trail angel drove us all over town to look for fuel.  Another trail angel set us up to camp at the airport.  Yet another trail angel met us at the airport and got us all set up -- and then he returned late tonight to bring me a bottle of stove fuel.  Kindergarten Cop texted me and is in Mojave.  Our delay has allowed him to catch up -- we'll see him tomorrow afternoon.  And then a family we hiked with over a week ago located me through my blog and has offered their assistance. 

After awhile, I started to get the feeling that today went just as it should.  I was supposed to have a series of hurdles to put me right here.  Drinking tea, eating ramen, blogging, and feeling incredibly grateful for all of those who lent a hand.  I am so glad.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like JUST the kind of day you needed! Funny how those kinds of things just sort of seem to "happen"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone who has worked with the public for years needs to hike the PCT or something equivalent in order to restore their faith in humanity. The wonderful people you are meeting on this hike is just remarkable. Every time you need help you are finding it! Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Lou! We'll send the whole Silver Falls crew out here!

      Delete
  3. It is so great that your bad day turned into a fairly good day, Dor!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. What!!!! a zero just made me realize how engrossed in the journal I am. I opened it up and "I Was So Mad" because there isn't a new entry. I might just have to go back to work now. But then again, I am so glad that you gals are doing so well. It is like a cliffhanger, waiting for the next episode in your journey - setting my mental dvr to check the journal tomorrow.
    HYOH-Hike Fun!!

    .cj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of cliffhangers these days. There is not much service in the Sierras! Trail angels are helping me tonight!

      Delete
  5. This entry was great for so many reasons. So true that a bad day on the trail is still better than not being on the trail at all. I called it the PCT emotional rollercoaster. Enjoy the ride:)

    ReplyDelete