Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 145 & 146: "So, You Think You Are Almost Done, Eh?"


(Mile 2515 to 2538.5 = 23.5 miles; 2538.5 to 2564 (minus 5) = 21.5 miles)

Sunrise! Before we got socked in....
 That is Washington.  Talking to us.  Taunting us.  Testing us. 

About to get socked in. Pretty, eh?
These last two days have been difficult, to say the least.  Yesterday was downhill, uphill, downhill, uphill.  The last down and up were five miles a piece and into and out of an icy fog.  We got to camp at 9 PM last night.  And we didn't even do our 25 miles.

Gumby on the old PCT route near Suiattle River. FUN.
A late night put us at a later morning this morning and a 2-mile "old PCT" route had us scrambling over trees and log crossings, trying not to lose trail.  There were floods in this area in 2003 and 2005 that took out a handful of bridges.  An official new trail opened in September 2011 with a brand new bridge.  And 5 extra miles. 

Creek crossing with High Life. Water can be pretty powerful...
It is supposes to be gorgeous, the new route, but we don't know.  We opted for the old, abandoned, overgrown route.  And we were treated to an adventure!  Halfmile calls the new route the one for purists, but I say a purist would take the old route!  It was a highlight of the trip for me.  Three creek crossings, two over slightly sketchy downed trees.  And then heaps of downed old growth to make your way up and over and under and around.  I felt like I did when I was a kid, trekking through the woods and swamp.  Banged, bruised, and filthy with twigs and needles everywhere, but happy as can be.  I remember one of my girlfriends declining an opportunity to try portaging a canoe by saying that she was delicate, "like a flower."  And I suppose she was.  But not me.  I love portaging (even though my boat is like trying to maneuver a 75 lb, 17-foot bullet over your head through the woods).  And I love stomping through the woods, balancing on logs, and swinging on branches, trying, all the while, to keep up with the boys (Maddog has been traveling with us!).  I hurt like hell (two days of mountains climbs mixed with landing leaps from logs and twisting the heck out of my ankles has kicked my butt), but I am happy.

Gumby before our 5 mile descent and ascent.
This is NOT an easy finish, this last week or so in Washington.  With the mileage we are all trying to make, I would say that this is actually one of the most difficult parts of the trail.  And at a time where we would like to be excited to finish, excited to cruise on in to the end.  But there is no cruising here.  Crawling is more like it!


Interview with a marmot!

4 comments:

  1. I am so in awe of you and Melissa. I especially have appreciated your blog entries during the hike.

    And Tara, thanks so much for posting them, we have followed it from the beginning and you are one of our heroes. Without you we would not have been able to read this.

    What an achievement, Dorothy, not only the hike, but composing 128 thoughtful entries during the hike, unbelievable. Wow. And Melissa, come to Oregon and we will pick you up and drive you wherever, you will also have a spot to stay! Loved the picture! Pam & John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to have you two along for the journey, Pam and John! Slideshow at Creekside to come . . .

      Delete
  2. I told some of your fellow rangers that the picture in my mind of you crossing into Canada was this: You on your hand and knees, swinging your pack across the border and then crawling after it. This is because I know you have a stubborn streak and would make it across no matter what! :) Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crawling definitely happened during this past month. As Maddog said, "I checked my pride at the border."

      :)

      Delete