Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 125: Two States Down, Almost!


(Mile 2117.5 to 2142.5 Eagle Creek = 25 miles)

Fall is beginning in the Pacific Northwest!
We are in the Eagle Creek canyon, just miles from finishing our tour of Oregon--okay, 11 miles from finishing Oregon.  This state has flown by.  Less than a month ago, we were roasting in California.  Now we are chilling in Oregon, getting ready to freeze in Washington.

We can see Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, and Rainier from Oregon! Washington, here we come!
Many people are getting anxious about Washington.  Finishing before the snow, mostly.  But it isn't really finishing that I am uneasy about; we move 25 miles a day, and if we make it, we make it.  If we don't, we don't.  No, it is trekking through another state that I do not know, and, this time, probably with rain and snow.  And the farther north we go, the more remote the country gets.  Oh, I am trying to get myself excited about Goat Rocks and the Northern Cascades.  And I am.  But I am also a little scared.  Oregon has been relaxing.  It is charted territory for me.  Washington might as well be Alaska in my book!

I can't help it. I love bones, Lou! Looks like a deer to me.
I will miss Oregon.  I am already excited to come home.  And not in the crazy northern California kind of way.  (I almost lost it there!)  I feel relaxed and happy and ready to step back into regular life.  I am sure I will miss the trail.  I already miss people I am realizing that I may never see again. Washington… hopefully, it is good mental transition time.  Time to wrap up my thoughts from the past four months and get situated to embrace the next phase.  ...  Which will probably include a good deal of healing!

5 comments:

  1. Excited for you to experience a hopefully dry WA. The bugling elk was the big surprise for me. That first leg to Goat Rocks is a rough one physically/mentally, but it ends EPICLY the rest of the way. Enjoy the rugged country and stay dry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Goat Rocks! I had NO idea. None. Why do we live in Oregon again?!

      Delete
    2. Ha! The rain/snow is more brutal up there! I think you've just figured that out if you got the weather I heard everyone else got the last couple days...good luck!

      Delete
  2. OK,OK! I will let you love bones, but flowers! Bones have tales to tell and can be very interesting, but did you know that there is a whole language of flowers? Different flowers mean different things when they are given to you and, even you, must admit that flowers are more beautiful than bones! Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's debatable! I love wildflowers, that's for sure. But I love the mystery of a bone. I might get equally as excited about both... We'll have to talk about this one, Lou! At least I like pink now in addition to gray. :)

      Delete