Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 135 & 136: "Yes. Thank you."


(Mile 2334 to 2360 = 26 miles; 2360 to 2386 = 26 miles)

Sunrise over Adams.
Those are three words I have learned to say on this trip.  Three difficult words.  But, when you are homeless, hungry, and/or in need (as we are nearly 24 hours a day), you learn to say, "Yes.  Thank you." Would you like a sandwich?  "Yes.  Thank you."  Would you like to stay in our spare room?  "Yes.  Thank you."  Would you like me to pick up two braces and bring them to you on trail?  "Yes.  Thank you."

Rainier, a solid presence on the trail.
I am nestled in my sleeping bag on an abandoned road with Gumby and Maddog and have a brace on each foot and a tape job underneath.  Chris (of Chris, Charles, and Gauge--the couple and dog who trail angeled us on Mt. Hood) drove all the way into middle-of-nowhere Washington to bring me a variety of plantar fasciitis supplies.  She *made* me Strassburg socks, bought a brace for each foot (finding them for $30 LESS at Freddies), bought two rolls of athletic tape and brought instructions on how to tape for daily hiking, and Tylenol.  If that were not enough, she made all three of us hot lunch and stocked us up on snacks.  Did I mention new water bottles and our respective favorite pops?  Unbelievable.  And this is from a woman I have met once before.  When she trail angeled us on Hood.  Thank you, Chris and co.  You have me keepin' on.  Brian and Mom, Guy and Jimmy, thanks for helping Chris help me.

Me with my new homemade Strassburg socks. Thank you, Chris, Charles, and Gauge!
But many of you can believe this, can't you.  Because I have had an outpouring of support from all corners.  Not everyone can zip up to Washington, but a number of you have offered and even more have given advice and moral support.  You cannot know how much all of this helps.  Finishing is now about both physical and mental strength and endurance.  I will quit if the physical pain becomes too much and I know the costs are no longer worth the reward of finishing. I am not afraid to stop.  But I do not want to if I do not have to.  I have not reached stop yet.  And, with my new tape and brace/sock therapy, I am hoping I might not have to.

We didn't find these, but we heard about them! Thanks, Chris and the Cascadia Women's hiking group!
Thank you, everyone, for cheering me on.  I can feel it all the way up here in mid-Washington.  Just two more weeks to go.  I am going to give it all I have...  So I had better rest up!  Night!

6 comments:

  1. Dorothy/Bacon Bit -
    You are one SIMPLY AMAZING woman! I have been worried for you ever since you reported this plantar faciaitis foot condition and thinking about you every day. For months I've been rooting for you, celebrating with you, cheering you on and almost doing headstands with you here at home! But mostly, I have been awed by you and entertained by you all these months. You have made my summer so much more interesting as I look forward to reading your daily blog entries every night before I go to bed. So enjoyable to "live vicariously" through your words as "we" progress northward on the trail with you!

    I have my own foot troubles, so I can so relate to the constant stress and annoyance of walking each step in pain. But in no way could I even come close to the kind of miles you are STILL putting in each day. This last few weeks have shown your tenacity, strength and perserverance over everything thus far. Mind over matter. Stll there you are, smiling as usual even through the pain and tears, grateful for this incredible experience, thankful for your friends and family and pressing on, all the while philosophizing in your practical, common sense way.

    I know one thing. I'd be a mess out there if this was happening to me. But you? Yes, you ARE truly amazing - no matter what you decide and where this next trail may lead you!

    Hang in there ( or not). Whatever you decide, you will be a success! Yes, we are indeed out here rooting for you! As they say, "you go, girl!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to second Jill's message! I also hope you enjoy the Mt. Rainier area. It is my very favorite national park and the least used park in the system. The mountain and the area around it is some of the most beautiful country on the planet! :) Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thirding (is that a word?) Jill's message too! Onward and northward :-) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! I love hearing from you on here. Truly. It helps me keep on. I am holding up physically and happy mentally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon Bit....Giant Bear Hug to you! Kindergarten Cop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. You are a remarkable, inspiring woman, and it has been our privilege to bring some magic to you and Gumby. Enjoy the final miles of the PCT! May you have wonderful weather and plentiful water. - Chris 'n Gauge (and Charles too!)

    ReplyDelete