Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 123 & 124: Social Butterflies


(Mile 2088.5 to 2107, Timberline Lodge = 18.5 miles; 2107 to 2017.5 = 10.5 miles)

Chris and Gage, bringers of great trail magic.
Well, it has been difficult to find the time to write lately.  Everything has been going splendidly, it is actually just socializing that is making writing a challenge.  Hardly anything to complain about!

Charles, baker of peanut butter bacon bit cookies!
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris, her partner, Charles, and their dog, Gage.  The three brought us subs and hiked with us for awhile before treating us to more magic than we could possibly eat ... in one sitting, anyway.  The company and treats were welcome; the afternoon flew by, and, before we knew it, we were at Timberline Lodge.  One of my favorite places in Oregon.

Mt. Hood. Northern most of the Oregon Cascades.
And!  My mate had reserved us a room at Timberline!  Rooms, beds are always nice, but I have wanted to stay at that lodge since I first walked through those doors.  I love CCC/WPA/New Deal era park architecture and craftsmanship, and Timberline takes it to another level.  The place has a lively energy, as if those who designed, built, and furnished it were playing the entire time.  I lounged in bed this morning, staring at the bed frame, imagining the hands that went into making it over seventy-five years ago.  Unbelievable.

For the first time ever, I am staying the night at Timberline Lodge. Built by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930's and interior designed by Margery Hoffman Smith (who designed the furniture at my park) this is my favorite building anywhere. I am awestruck.
What's more, it was actually at Timberline Lodge in that ping pong room (the Barlow Room?) a handful of years ago that I realized that I must hike the PCT.  I can still recall the moment, standing, staring at the watery artwork, the sun streaming through the curtain, when a wave of clarity washed over me.  "You have to hike the PCT."  Hmmm.  I had forgotten about that instant until just now.  Little did I know.
Handstands for Timberline Lodge!

Today was mostly spent at Timberline.  A slow breakfast buffet, packing, and hanging out at Wy' East while catching up on phone calls and emails.  We made it out by 3 PM and had a solid hike to Ramona Falls.  Which Gumby loved just as much as I hoped she would.  Tomorrow?  Eagle Creek.  Then Cascade Locks and more socializing! 

Mt. Hood from the base. I have climbed it once, but need a repeat visit to catch the view from the top on a cloudless day!
Ramona Falls. We cooked dinner while the evening light danced over the rocks.

3 comments:

  1. Do they still leave a newspaper outside your room each morning and turn the bed down each evening? That is what they did when Andy and I stayed there some years ago. We also found it a beautiful place. Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am putting the Crater Lake lodge on my list for next. Have you been there, Lou?

      Delete
  2. Sending lots and lots of healing energy your way! Hoping that you'll be able to finish. Yet, however it turns out, you've already accomplished so much!

    ReplyDelete