Friday, September 21, 2012

Day 141 & 142: Hiking Seasons


(Mile 2464, Pipers Pass, to 2476, Skykomish = 12 miles)

There are plenty of analogies out there for the Trail, I am sure, but today I was thinking about how, mentally and emotionally, the journey has reflected the seasons.

Fires in the area, but Washington is still gorgeous.
For the purposes of the analogy, we'll split California into three parts:  the desert, the Sierras, and northern California. 

We started with the desert in the spring, and, indeed, the desert was like spring.  Everything was fresh and exciting.  Every day brought new experiences and people, thoughts and feelings.  I will always remember the people and places of the desert with a tinge of nostalgia for they were my first memories of the trip.

Trail magic, Copenhaver style!
Just when the desert was beginning to grow long and just as summer was beginning, we hit the Sierras.  The Sierras were like early summer.  When we started, we were as excited as kids just getting out of school with an entire summer vacation ahead of us.  We packed our packs high and were off for the great adventure.  We kept our schedule loose, played hard, and slept harder.  The JMT hikers kept us amused and the passes kept us guessing at what surprise might be around the next corner.  It was wonder-filled time.  I loved the Sierras.

Metamorphic rock. Granite under pressure.
Northern California.  Oh, northern California. It was like those hot, stagnant mid-summer days where nothing moves but the fly buzzing around the table and the near-spoiling fruit.  It is probably not fair of me to write much about northern California because I am a little bitter about it.  It was brutally hot and hilly.  It is also, as Gumby reminded me, where the stalking happened and where my feet started to get bad. 

Care packages! Thanks, Jim, John, and Pam!
Oregon, on the other hand, was like that transition period between summer and fall.  There is an energy to the air as you try to squeeze the last bit of fun out of summer.  This time flew by and is filled with memories of visits from friends, great surprise stops, and easy but scenic trail miles.  One fantastic vacation.

Sorting the resupply. So many goods, so little space!
And now we are in Washington, and it is fall.  And Washington feels like fall.  Gone is the newness of spring, the thrill of early summer, the mid-summer doldrums, and the last vacation.  There is a bit of anxiety in the air as we enjoy this gorgeous weather, but know that an early winter storm could end everything.  As could a failure of feet or a slip on a mountainside.  My mood and thoughts are fall-like, too.  Just as the plants are slowing and settling down for winter, ready for the growing season to end, so am I slowing and settling and preparing for the end.  I feel a little more quiet and reflective these days.  Thoughtful, but about nothing in particular.  My heart and head feel content.  A winding down of sorts.  I am excited for the finish, but still softly pleased to be on trail.  Storms may hit, but I feel prepared for those, too.  And, they might not even come at all.

My new white outfit! I AM PCT fashion. Thanks, Jim Knight!
. . . . . . . .

We are at Hiker Haven.  The Dinsmores are wonderful.  A mini-Saufleys!  I received spectacular care packages again!  Huge thanks to the Reid/Thomas's and Jim Knight.  And Jim Copenhaver for catching us once again!  We have perhaps the best support team on trail.  :)

9 comments:

  1. The long range weather is for cool, a sprinkle or two, but no storms. So, it looks as though the big challenge is your feet! :) Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed all of the rain, Lou! One big ole lucky trip.

      Delete
  2. I am a So Cal day hiker and camper who has never attempted anything as ambitious as what you have done but your writing has allowed me to experience what it might be like to hike the majestic PCT. I began following some blogs back in April, and after a bit, I narrowed down my reading to just a few. I thought I would lose interest once you finished the Sierras and had covered all the places I knew, instead, your thoughtful observations on the trail and life had me hooked. When I read that you might not finish, it took me a minute to catch my breath and brush my tears back. But of course, finishing is not even close to being the most important part of this journey. If you do, and you can do it without hurting yourself or suffering in pain too much to enjoy any part, then I will be whoopin’ and hollering for you and Gumby. If you don’t, please know that you sound like an amazing young lady who has just begun to explore your potential in this world. Thank you for sharing your life this past 6 months and whatever happens congratulations are in order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for good health and a successful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dorothy,
    We crossed paths with you and chatted briefly on the trail above Squaw Valley and have been following your blog ever since. It is inspiring, suspenseful, and very well written, and has provoked many discussions, both practical and philosophical, of what it means to take on a challenge of this magnitude. We think it ranks among some of the best travelogues we have read. Whether or not you finish--and we are of course cheering you on--we are grateful to have had the vicarious experience of hiking with you and eavesdropping on your reflections. We look forward to your final thoughts on how this has affected your life and would love to see a sequel some day about its longer term impact. Unless you come to the Bay Area, we are unlikely to attend your presentations, so we hope that you will follow Steve’s suggestion of recording and posting them on your web site. We are interested in the practical aspects--e.g. whether all the planning and advance food preparation was worthwhile, how many pairs of shoes you went through, the final cost--as well as the emotional ones. Alice and Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there--Just caught up with you and Gumby. I am come-over-gulpy with awe for you both. Best wishes for a wonderful finish to a very grand adventure! Hugs! Jean E

    ReplyDelete
  6. This analogy idea is a good one for the public talk! I think people want to hear about the terrain and its changes as much as the personal stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9/27/12 Thinking of you...You must be soooooo close! Hooray! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. No posts in a week,weather holding, questionable feet,lions and tigers and bears,oh my! They gotta be a couple of days from finish,eh?
    What delicious fun it's been following along these many months. Looking forward to meeting you a SFP some time or the Wooden Nickle!

    ReplyDelete