Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 128: Hurts So ... Good?


(Mile 2161 to 2185, Trout Creek = 24 miles)

St. Helens, Rainier and Adams. All stitched together!
"Pain is weakness leaving the body," my good friend, Ryan Brant's shirt read in high school.  Ryan was on the wrestling team.  And we lived in Iowa.

I thought of Ryan and that saying today as I tiptoed/scampered along the trail, trying desperately to keep my heels from touching the ground.  I was nearly bawling by lunch -- during which I pulled myself together and made a pseudo-plan.

My feet hurt.  They hurt badly.  Enough today that I had to consider a future where Washington was not finished this year.  It has not come to that yet, but I did actually allow myself to run through the scenario.  It is plantar fasciitis.  I have no question.  Though, of course, I have not visited a doctor.  Most of us do not have insurance out here, and I am no exception.  My friend, Jimmy, did look at my feet though.  A massage therapist who ran a massage school for a number of years, he checked all of the bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and attachment points, and everything points to the plantar fascia.  Symptoms I have read about and talked to people about are spot on.  I am doing everything I can do on trail.  Today, it came to pep talks.

My ranger-friends, Carl and Brad found us on trail tonight!  They took us to Carson for dinner and supplied us with pop, chips, ibuprofen, and jerky from Brad's very own cow.  Buster, I think his name was.  It was a treat to see them.  I love the people I work with.  If you have been reading, you can probably see why.  A little park talk, a lot of trail talk, and a few hugs.  I am a happy hiker. 

I also took the opportunity to send them home with a few things:  my camera battery charger, my knock-off Crocs, the solar panel part of my PowerMonkey (may regret that one?), an extra sunscreen, and my dinner for tonight.  This is the last push to lighten my load.  Oh, and a bottle of Heet for my stove -- may regret that one, too, as there is supposedly no more denatured alcohol on trail.  But, I have no choice.  Something has to give, and I will give up everything else before I give up the Trail.  Stretching, massage, ibuprofen, and extra inserts; I do not know what else I can do.  I tried to brace my foot in a flex overnight, but I took it off my sleep.

Pep talks and music are all I have left.  Just over three weeks to go.  I hope I can do this.  I am going to give it a helluva try.  Any advice, tips, tricks, words of encouragement, prayers even, are welcome.  Thanks and good night!

After an hour of running around, they found us! Ranger love from Carl and Brad. Thanks for everything, guys!

17 comments:

  1. Dang, bum luck on the foot thing. Lots of stretching, massaging of your Achilles Tendon, and if you can find a way to sleep with your foot against a rock so it pushes your foot flat that might help.

    Keep your chin up and know that we're all rooting for you. :)

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've following your blog adventures on the PCT from here in the UK since the start. I'm really sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis, keep strong and be brave I know you can do it, you seem like one truly remarkable person. You have the strength of will and character to do this, and I am rooting for you all the way. Willing you on to the finish and the border. Remember though that Washington will always be there... So don't hurt yourself, or beat yourself up you've achieved so much already, more than most ever will. All the best and keep walking (gently :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleeping with your foot vertical (flexed) is the best cure for PF. You need a brace or a Strassberg Sock. Can someone get that for you?

    *had it for 8 months*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my wife and I have been following your journey since the beginning and have loved reading your blog as we hope to someday complete the PCT. I am so sorry to hear about your Plantar Fascitis! This can be very debilitating, especially since you are walking so much everyday with extra weight. Have you ever tried taping your arches? I am a physical therapist and have found that sometimes I can allievate a lot of the pain in the plantar fascia with some taping techniques. This combined with trying to sleep with your foot flexed up as others have suggested might help relieve some of your symptoms. I would hate to see your journey end when you are so close to the end. If you want more details on how to self tape your arch let me know (michelettib@verizon.net). Good luck and remember there are many of us you have never even met cheering you on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any advice on what to use to keep the foot flexed? I bought ace wraps, but they cutbiff the cirulation. Should I try to get braces?

      Delete
    2. The idea with keeping your toes up while you sleep is to prevent the tendon in your foot from tightening up. Using the ace wrap might help some but with the inherent stretch it may not work as well as a brace. My suggestion would be to wrap one end around the ball of your foot (start on the inside and go out and around) 3-4 times. then take the loose end and feed it up underneath the ace wrap, going from your heel to your toes. You can then pull this end up over your toes lifting your toes up toward your shin. Now wrap this around your calf going inside to out again. If you know how to do a timber Knot this would work to hold it in place. After going around your calf once or twice wrap the loose end around the ace wrap already around your calf. Hope this makes sense! This should help prevent you from pointing your toes while sleeping. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions on this. I sent some information to Chris on taping your foot.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Brian! Chris gave me instructions, and my cousin has been taping my feet. My heals are still sensitive, but the taping helps with all of the other associated pain. I am relieved to have something to help during the day.

      Delete
  5. Hang in there if you can! If you need delivery of a support device, or tape, you know how to reach us via email/text. Chris, Charles & Gauge. I can make a run to you Thursday (9/13) or Friday (9/14).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often think of your saying- circa 2005 "Go Big Or Go Home" Every now and then, you gotta go home. I know you don't want it to come to that, but you also have to take care of yourself. We will be rooting for less pain, and a safe end to your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Ha! Thanks, Mollie! I am in the midst of going big...

      Delete
  7. Here's one of my favorite poems for a little encouragement.

    Invictus
    by William Ernest Henley

    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I am reading this daily. :)

      Delete
  8. I recognize those handsome dudes! I am so glad that they were able to reach you! I have a good friend with the same foot problems. The only thing that has helped her is the right shoes. You need to be there to make sure they fit properly, so that is no help on the trail. The folks who are talking about wraps may be on to something, but that would only be to get you buy on the trail. Would taking a day off here and there offer any relief for you? I will put a call in to Joan and see if she has any ideas. Lou

    ReplyDelete
  9. See you tomorrow with your 'take-out' lunch of sport tape, strossburg socks, and futuro braces. Something has to workout =] Chris (of Chris, Charles and Gauge)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The competitive athlete in me is saying "shake it off and push through", while the mom in me is saying "you've made it this far sweety, and we're proud of you no matter what" :) The point is you are an incredible inspiration to many many people and whatever happens out there we really are proud of you!! We have been on this journey with you since the beginning and we will stay with you till the end...however soon it may come. Chin up DBK and stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, everyone! Chris and Gauge have trail angeled us with tape, socks, braces, Tylenol, and treats. With these and Brian's taping technique, I have some relief. We are walking on...

    ReplyDelete