Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Day 137 & 138: Happy


(Mile 2386 to 2402 = 16 miles; Miles 2402 to 2417 = 15 miles)

2400 miles down, 265 miles to go!
We are laying under the stars on a saddle in the Alpine Wilderness with High Life tonight.  We managed 15 miles and got in pretty late, but had one of the best sunset nights of the trip.  Not to mention it was Saturday Night Buffet.

My mate asked me yesterday how I was doing.  "I'm happy," I said.  "Happy?  That's it?"  "Yes, happy."  And it's really almost that simple. 

High Life and Nino let us stay with them and then hiked with us. The Catwalk.
I am really enjoying Washington.  It's beautiful and varied and just wild enough.  And we have had amazing weather.  I did not anticipate liking this state so much.  Or perhaps I would have visited more and sooner.

Washington fall.
Much to my surprise, I am enjoying our new bubble.  Maddog hiked with us this last section, and we have spent the last two nights with High Life.  He and Nino caught us yesterday at the hotel restaurant and invited us to camp out on their floor.  At $120 a night, we were going to skip showers and laundry, but we couldn't pass up an offer for a floor!  It was fun and restful.

I have also found myself to be pretty content these last couple of weeks.  I was thrilled to be in Oregon and am now just happy to be in Washington.  Gone is the anxiety of northern California.  The end is near, but I wish it neither to come sooner nor later.  I am just as happy to be on trail as I am to be finishing.

Mt. Rainier in the distance.
As for the feet, they are not doing well.  But, I don't think they are getting worse, either.  The tape job helps during the day, and I am trying to get used to wearing the braces at night--I have wound up peeling them off every night in a fit of discomfort.  At this rate, I think I can finish.  As long as the trail is not as brutal as today--loose rock everywhere twists the ankles and batters the feet.

Sunset in the Alpine Wilderness. One of the best on trail.
Our trail magic continues, too, making the time pass quickly and memorably.  My friend, Elsa/Pepperjack, and her husband, Batteries Included, surprised us just before Snoqualmie.  I was so happy I cried, again.  (Doesn't take much these days!)  Pasta, Coke, cookies, chips, watermelon, and some good catch-up time.  I was as happy as could be.

So, all is well.  And I am simply happy out here.

More sunset. It was a late night, but well worth it! The colors were spectacular. Thanks to High Life for keeping an eye on us. :)

4 comments:

  1. Dear BB,
    Greetings from SoCal! I have been excitedly reading your updates since you started your journey, and dreaming of what my experience will be like one day. You have great spirit and a positively entertaining writing style! I wish you the best in these last days/weeks on the PCT, a huge accomplishment! The end will be bittersweet for you I'm sure, as it will be for me (the reader) also. Best of luck with the last couple hundy, and enjoy every moment :) By mate and I are rooting for you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow crappy-foot person (chronic blisters), I am so glad to hear that you are pressing on and not getting worse! And that you are enjoying my home state :)

    I was curious if you guys are going to be/ were very affected by all the wildfires in the area at the moment? They do make for lovely sunsets though.

    Also, I'm sure this is waay too soon to be asking, but I hope you do a gear review at some point when you are back home and rested up!

    All the best, good luck for Canada and the finish!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are in position to make the finish without punishing your body further! It must be a help knowing that the end is near yet you have time to enjoy the trail to the finish. You certainly are sending us beautiful photos! :) Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can make your braces less aggressive somehow, you might be able to keep them on. Any kind of flex is good for sleeping because you re-inflame the fascia when you get up if it is not flexed. Are you stretching the feet also? Good luck--you are almost there.

    ReplyDelete