Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 147 & 148:  Time Warp 1985:  Paradise



(Mile 2564 to 2580, Stehekin = 16; Mile 2580 to 2594, Fireweed Campground = 14 miles)

Well, we are on trail, cowboy camped at a site with a group of at least 30.  They seem to be students ... students on a get-to-know-you trip?  They just finished a flashlight tag game.  Maddog managed to get himself in on the game.  Of course!  I was a little astonished.  "He's a boy," Gumby reminded me.  He can't turn down a competitive game, even with perfect strangers.

Lake Chelan is gorgeous, even through the smoke.
We left our last town stop of the trail today.  Stehekin.  If you ever, ever get the chance, go.  The population is about 80 permanent residents.  From what I gathered, there is no road into the town.  The Trail, float planes, and boats.  It is on the gorgeous Lake Chelan, walled in by tall mountains.  The town is in its own grid.  A post office, a lodge, a restaurant, a ranch, an organic farm, and a stellar bakery.  And the North Cascades National Park ranger statio.  (Yes, I struck up a conversation with a ranger I found at the bakery.  R. Something.  Carl, he knows Dana; so, give her a ho ller, and tell her I met on e of her co-workers!) 

1985.

We saw more people on bicycles in Stehekin than in vehicles.  And the vehicles are all from about 1985.
Many say that Stehekin is their favorite trail town.  It is obvious why.  It does not feel like 2012 in Stehekin.  I'd put it in the 1980s.  The pace, the feel, and even the looks.  Quaint, quiet, and full of good vibes.  What a perfect way to wrap up our trip.

It was a big reunion for everyone at the bus stop.  We saw Patch and Lampshade one last time!

Speaking of which, we are aiming to hit the border on September 27.  It sounds like my dad is going to make it to Canada to meet us.  I am THRILLED.  I don't know if he'll be at Manning or the monument, itself.  We have no service!  And I was only able to get a call into my aunt this morning.  So, three to four more days.  My body is failing--a lower leg muscle is now in spasm due to my funny hiker hobble and my feet hurt like heck by the last part of the day (braces and tape keep the first half relatively good.)  But my mind is doing pretty well.  I am ready to finish, but I am still soaking up the scenery and marveling at this trip that not even I can fathom completing.

P.S.  In the five minutes of Wi-Fi I had at the ranch, I received numerous well wishes and cheering ons from you all.  Thank you.  As Washington continues to kick our behinds and our bodies continue to tell us no, your encouragement and faith helps keep me going.  And keep Gumby going--I always read her the motivational comments!  Night!

Dinner with friends! 
(Counter-clockwise)  Nino, High Life, me, Magic Bag, Brit, David, Gumby, Face Plant, and Stryder.


Cedar love.

7 comments:

  1. Oh you must be done by now since it is October 1! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHooDBK You done it! With my near sighted vision the bottom picture looks like the two of you doing a headstand in the water...too bad you can't click on your picures and make them bigger. Yer my hero:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so looking forward to seeing you! will Gumby/Melissa be gracing us with her presence in Jazzercise? regardless, y'all are true celebs! congratulations many times over --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to make it this week! I can't really walk though . . .

      Delete
  4. An incredible journey! You have travelled many paths and conquered them all. David and Goliath at its roots. Great job!
    Kindergarten Cop spoke highly of you and your blog, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Kindergarten Cop is quite a man, himself...

      Delete