Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 151: Monumental

(Mile 2641 to 2660.3 = 19.3 miles)

We made it!

Our last long view.

We are 2/10 of a mile past the monument.  It was another perfect day.  Just the ending for this trip. 

Sigh... I love this place.

There was a small group at the monument when we arrived:  Busted, Dyno, Zoomie, Stryder, and Jack Flash.  Gumby and I were quickly followed by Maddog.  The group sort of prevented the major breakdown.  It'll happen at some point, just delayed for now.  I had a little time to hike alone this morning and some time to hike and talk with Maddog this afternoon.  Gumby and I finished together.  It was just the right combination.

Handstands for walking 2660.3
 miles.

Since we are on some sort of a trail tonight, I am in a bit of denial about actually finishing.  I don't know when reality will settle in.  It has not yet.  And Papa has not arrived for some reason, either.  Seeing him will help with reality.  Perhaps when we reach the lodge in the morning.  Certainly once I get back to Oregon. 

I made it, Scouters!

I don't have any great thoughts for you tonight.  Except that it really has been all about the journey for me.  Reaching the border, yes, it is exciting, but it is all of the days and experiences before it that I will remember.  2660.1 miles, 151 days, it is an accomplishment.  But I do not feel an overwhelming urge to celebrate.  Instead, I am both saddened to know that I will not have another day on the trail and excited to have days back home.  I miss my place, my town, my friends, my work, and my mate.  Just as I will miss the Trail, the towns, the PCT wilderness, the daily trail life, and my fellow thru-hikers.  It has been quite the journey.  Even I cannot believe it.

PCT = Check.

Our finish team.  Zoomie, Dyno, me, Jack Flash, Maddog, Gumby, Busted, and Stryder.
September 27, 2012.

Our last long view.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm proud, happy, and ecstatic for you! What a feat and an accomplishment! You're amazing! Now, you'll have a chance to rest and reflect I hope. These memories will be ones that stick with you forever.

    Good Job!

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing just that, Randi! And swung by the Park today. It's all in one piece. I'll be ready to get back to it in a couple of weeks....

      Delete
  2. Congrats to you and Gumby. The Incredible Journey! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not be having a melt down, but I am! OMG, Dorothy! Thank you so much for sharing your journey so insightfully with us! What an incredible feat! You and Gumby are my heroes! Hugs to you both!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome!
    The finish is no different from any other day except tomorrow you start a new journey. You have built a tremendous foundation so they will all be greater!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! What a wonderful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAAAYYYYYY!!!!! Congrats! Very happy to see that handstand at the monument:) I was working in Woodburn today and thought you'd be home by now. Once you've adjusted and are ready for a visit, email me and let me know! Hopefully, it will start raining here soon. I found that to really help with the adjustment home. No yearning to be out in cold rain! I'm really happy for ya and thanks for taking us along for the ride:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so very much for sharing your journey. Every evening I've looked forward to reading your blog and hoping that you are both doing well. I'm in awe of both of you.

    Warm wishes to you both.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woooot!!! Congrats! Can't wait for my moment at the monument :) Eat it up. What am I going to read now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow You did it! Now I wanna do sections of it. You so belong where you are dbk. Stay in Astonishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading your blog since the beginning and it has been incredibly entertaining and inspirational. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, great job Dor! It's been fun following your adventures! Cheers!
    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! It's been fun watching your journey, thanks for making it public so all of us future PCT hikers can follow along and get a glimpse of an amazing journey. It's kind of sad, most of the other PCT bloggers are finished or finishing as well. PCT season is over :(

    ReplyDelete