Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 152 & 153: Saved by Pepperjack & Batteries Included!

(Monument 78, 2660.1 to Manning Provincial Park, 2668.1 = 8 miles)

Well, my dad never did show up the day we finished. And we did not travel far from the monument. We hiked less than a mile and found Dyno and Zoomie sitting on logs in front of a cold campfire ring in silence. I suppose it is how we all felt. And so we joined them! It was nice to spend the last night with a group. As if it were not all over.

In the morning, Gumby and I headed out. I kept a quick pace, eager to find out what had happened to my dad. Scenarios ran from a late train to a mugging in Vancouver. Fortunately, I found out before I reached Manning Park. Right around the 4-mile mark, I saw my dad! In a backpack! On the trail! And after a quick reunion with him, I found my friend, Elsa/Pepperjack! In a backpack! On the trail! With my dad!

Pepperjack saves the day!  I love this woman!

It is a long story, but my dad's first bus broke down four times on its way from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Chicago, causing him to miss his train and setting him a day behind. I had put him and Pepperjack in contact just in case he needed any logistical help once he reached Washington (Pepperjack and her husband, Batteries Included--they met on the PCT in '03 and '05--live in Bellingham, WA.) Once she found out my dad was running a day behind, Pepperjack stepped in and saved the trip. She packed her pack, picked up my dad, helped him sort through his pack, took him to the trailhead at Manning, and hit the trail with him for a night hike on the PCT. They went a few miles that night and a few more the next morning until they ran into me. What a fantastic surprise!

Papa.  :)

After rescuing my dad, Pepperjack rescued us. She took us to Manning for lunch, drove us over the border (stopping at a dairy for ice cream treats), and took us to her home in Bellingham. There, we each had OUR OWN ROOM, and were treated to showers, laundry, loaner clothes, and a salmon dinner. Did I mention that she also treated Maddog to all of this magic?! After a good night's sleep and big breakfast, Batteries Included told us that he'd take us to Portland! He needed to deliver a washer and dryer to a friend, anyway. I couldn't believe it. And I wanted to say no. But we had no better plan, and we all said, "Yes, thank you." 

We found David and Brit at Stehekin and at Manning!
We hadn't seen them since the first week of May.  GREAT guys.

Although neither Pepperjack nor Batteries Included would accept any monetary thanks, I did manage to at least treat Batteries and his Portland friend to a paddle and a barbecue. Or, rather, my mate treated all of us, and I found myself saying, "Yes, thank you," yet again. It was all the perfect ending to an amazing trip. Hiking with my dad, being spoiled by Pepperjack and Batteries, and catching up with my mate and friends over a late summer cookout. It couldn't have been better if I had planned it myself.

Yes.  I locked Papa Bear's treats in the bear vault and made him break into it.

. . . . . . . .

I felt throughout all of this that I could not thank Pepperjack and Batteries enough. And then someone pointed out to me that they were just giving back. They had hiked the PCT as well and been given all kinds of trail magic. They probably loved the chance to give back. Perhaps. A few days later, my dad, Gumby, and I were driving down the Oregon coast. We came upon a guy with a backpack, thumb out. I pulled over without thinking twice. Where're you headed? Anywhere south. You can throw your pack in the back...

Welcome to the Pacific Ocean, Gumby!

4 comments:

  1. Has this been an awesome, unforgettable experience to "hike" the PCT "with you?" YES! -- and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool that your dad did end up meeting you. So good to see your "Papa."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What an amazing trip and amazing person to be able to do it! It's been great fun to follow your journey. Hard to believe it is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great journal,great hike, great strength, great pictures, anyway all great stuff. Enjoyed the read, wish I read this last year as it was happening. Thank you for sharing when you were tired, hungry, or just not feeling good. I like the if I did it again, might come in handy sometime.

    ReplyDelete