Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 149 & 150: F-U-N


(Mile 2594 to 2620 = 26 miles; Mile 2620 to 2641 = 21 miles)

Tomorrow, if all goes well, we officially finish the PCT.  151 days.  2669+ miles.  Meanwhile, the weather has been great and the scenery stellar while the trail is just a smidge easier than it was a few days ago.  Washington has not gotten soft, but it has been getting more and more fun.
 
2600 miles, baby!

A happy fall morning.  I still love it out here.

Yesterday, we did 26 without too much struggle and were in camp before 7:30 PM.  Today, we only did 21, but that was because we had some of our best, most relaxing trail magic yet and opted to stop a little early and stay with a group.  Stryder and Jack Flash are camped with Maddog, Gumby, and me.  We chatted over dinner and have all just settled down for the night.  Complete silence over camp by 8:30 PM.  We are WILD.

Trail magic today was brought to us by Chuck, Gondo's dad, and Chris and Gauge.  Yes, Chris and Gauge appeared one last time on trail!  Chris decided to come up and hike the Harts Pass area--which is absolutely gorgeous--and it worked out that Gumby and I were in the area.  Lucky us!  And, if she decides to take it--and it sounds like she has--Chris got a trail name from Maddog.  "Where's Chris" since she appears all over the place on the Trail, and you never know where she'll be next.  It's a perfect fit.  I was trying to come up with something along that line, but didn't have anything with a ring.  These two both happened to be at the same campground and teamed up for some spectacular and relaxing trail magic.  It was just the thing. 

"Where's Chris?"  And Gauge.

And so it has gone the last couple of days.  Everything has fallen right into place.  Perfect weather, perfect trail, perfect views, perfect company.  The trip is ending on the best of notes.

If you look hard, you can see our trail on the left . . .

AND, as advised by Wired (Thank you!), I spent the first part of today in my head, reflecting on my trip.  It was the perfect morning for it, and it happened without my thinking about it.  I watched the sunrise as I climbed a mountain and breathed the crisp fall air as I marveled at the yellow larches, my mind a million miles away yet present at the same time.  It was just I needed and wanted.  I could not have planned it any better.

THE Cascadia track.  We all follow these.  The most popular shoe on Trail!

Tomorrow...I cannot actually believe that it is coming.  I am excited, though I know that tomorrow I will be incredibly sad as well.  A part of you does not want this to end, does not want to say goodbye to the people, the lifestyle, or the Trail.  We have identified as PCT Thru-Hikers for months.  For months, this has been our entire life, and for months before that it was our obsession.  We love this.  We love the PCT.  We love each other.  This is going to be harder than I thought, isn't it?  Well, we'll find out.
  
The moon as we hike on.


A perfect way to wrap up our trip.


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment. We will miss watching for your posts every day, but look forward to your summing up of the experience. We are so glad we ran into you (above Squaw Valley) and learned of your blog. Our best wishes for whatever comes next, Alice and Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found my blog, Alice and Lou! I can still travel back to the very spot we met. Seems to be the way of the trip. Next so far is readjusting to the life I left behind... Thanks for following and writing! Bacon Bit

      Delete
  2. Wow! We are all sad to stop reading this most fantastic blog! Wonderful writing style and so good of you to share it all with us! You are living the dream! Now come home! We MISS you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It has been so much fun reading your posts each day, and I've enjoyed surprising you with magic along the journey. I've already picked out a few sections for hiking (and magic) for next year ... I plan to keep people guessing "Where's Chris?" and Gauge (of course). Yep, I love the trail name! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      We want to invite you to a gathering for Dorothy. Can you "friend me" on Facebook? Lori Webb or Creekside Grill. (Silverton, OR)

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Lori - I'll try to reach you via email at Creekside Grill. I'm not on Facebook. Chris

      Delete
  4. You are welcome BB! So glad you were able to take it in and have an enjoyable finish. Can you imagine finishing in snow or cold rain after all that!? Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous weather to the very end. You were also right about the benefits of enjoying Washington with some fall sunshine. I LOVED it!

      Delete