Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 8: Welcome, Music!


View from our cabin.
Today was an 18-miler.  We're feeling a little better after a day of rest.  And we're *trying* to get to Warner Springs before the post office closes tomorrow.  This part IS a race! 

We also busted out the mp3 players for the first time today.  It was a long, hot hike in the San Felipe Hills, and we got quiet.  Really quiet.  Like maybe grumpy, let's check our moods with music quiet.  And it was great!  It's truly amazing what a few tunes can do.  Yes, you miss a bit of the natural splendor, but it is a good release for the brain. 

12 military helicopters. We checked Facebook; the world is not ending!
So today while silently walking, I found myself bouncing between missing my mate and comparing who I am beginning this trip to who I was 12 years ago when I took my 77 day Outward Bound trip.  (Was it really that long ago?!)  That trip changed my life (at a time when I really needed it) and made me a better person.  I did that one knowing I needed to, but not knowing why.  This time around, I don't really need the trip so much as want it.  So where will it leave me this time?  I have a few things that I set out to work on ... today was sort of checking in to remind myself of those and see if I am starting any of them.  (This is probably why I was really quiet.)  And see, my mate was the one to ask me before the trip what I want to get from it, so round and round I go.

Our first water cache! Thank you trail angels.
No conclusions or confessions yet!  It's too early in the hike and too late at night!  Here's hoping for another strong hike tomorrow.  Night!

1 comment:

  1. A bottled water cache! What a wonderful thing to do! It takes some truly nice people to do something like that. Makes me feel good that you two have people like that along the trail. Lou

    ReplyDelete