Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 13: Wait, I Have to Be Social??


(NOTE:  Special thanks go to my Iowa friend, Tara Reiter-Marolf, who is posting all of my blogs.  I type them up at night in Word and attach photos, and then she edits, does the layouts, and posts for me.  Every day.  Or at least when I have service.  You wouldn't be reading this without her!  Thanks, Tara!)

Sunrise behind our campsite.
Running ridges all day!
Busy might be the best way to describe today.  We managed 17 miles in some pretty rigorous topography.  I'm not sure what the highest elevation was, but I know we went over 8500'.  It was gorgeous, running ridges and circling summits.  That kept us busy, but what was really busy was all of the small groups we kept leapfrogging all day long.  It was refreshing, having so many people around, but it was also exhausting.  It totally threw off our regular routine.  And I'm not used to or maybe ready to hike near people who want to chitchat.  I don't mind talking, I just didn't feel like having any expectations put upon me today -- keeping up, asking reciprocating questions, when really I just wanted to move my pace and admire the view.  However, it certainly made the day fly by!
San Jacinto Mountains. Gorgeous and a bit rugged for our early hiking legs.
 But it's quarter after hiker midnight, and we're exhausted.  We'll hit town tomorrow morning.  We decided Saturday night might not be our best time to hitch.  One more night on the trail for us.  Night!

A lizard deposited this little gem on a rock right before my eyes!
It rolled off, but I rounded it up for this photo op. Lucky me!

Our first snow!
 (P.S.  It's the next day now, and I've still been thinking about this.  I think it's that 80 year old woman in me.  She'd rather leapfrog the 50-somethings and catch up with them and talk about life at breaks and listen to the birds in between.  I *am* going to dive into birdwatching when I'm no longer able to run and hike as much!)

12 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog! It feels like I'm hiking too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dor, I love reading about your daily adventures. I wish you both great vistas and great health throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're starting to get freakishly tan! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until you get to northern California, you are now in the terrain where the mountains were covered with big timber until about 100 years ago. This area has been burned over many, many times. The fires are almost always caused by man, either purposely set or a campfire left unattended. Since it is another really dry year, you may come across a wildfire yourself. Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going through burned areas as we speak, Lou! And it is HOT.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you guys are somewhere around Idyllwild CA. We used to go to a cabin just outside of the village a LOT when I was in high school. I agree -- Steve Shunk's presentation was really interesting. I learned a lot. Wish I could have gone on the birding part of the Birds and Brunch Sunday, but the whole point was to take my mom up to Silver Falls. She really enjoyed it. I'll pass your message for Dylan along to Jean tonight. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand and share the feeling of socializing while hiking. If you had wanted to meet up with folks to chat, you could've stayed home and just met for coffee. On the other hand, try to be sensitive to the other folks,you do have this quest in common, but not so sensitive that you lose track of your journey. Just like a handstand, it's all about balance blessings, Raisin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it IS about balance. Just like a handstand -- thanks, Raisin!

      Delete
  7. It's sociable, not social, and I hate it more than anyone. I wouldn't go to the meet up, don't want anything from trail angels, unless I'm dying, and wouldn't go into town except to visit the post office to pick up my resupply package. All this talk of rides and couches and camping in Frodo's backyard and beer and BBQ and small talk makes me want to puke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, thanks for the correction. I hope we all get the peace we're looking for. And chitchat and partying for those looking for that. Happy trails!

      Delete